Can We Use Food As Medicine?

It is funny how we are bombarded with new websites promoting food as medicine, and we also know almost everything about healthy living, but still, if you look around you will see obese people and you probably know someone with a chronic illness.

Why should we use food as medicine?

The reasons why we should pay attention to what we eat are numerous. I always say they should not make processed food to be so tasty if they care about our health, but that is a completely different issue.

The role of food is very important, it maintains our health, it allows our body to function, it prevents diseases and gives cells information. But even if we know all of this why do we still find it so hard to eat healthy and use the food as medicine?

The main reason for this can be that we are obsessed with what foods to avoid so we forget what foods are good for us. For years the fats were considered as mortal enemies, then the carbs together with animal protein joined them, then gluten and the list goes on and on. We keep forgetting that the food that we fail to eat and it is necessary for our body to function normally can have a bigger impact on our health than the bad food we consume.

Knowing is not enough

Even if you ask a 10 year old what is healthy eating according to them they would say fruits and vegetables on top of the list. So, what is the problem then? Well, we all know what is good for us, but we cannot go over the gap between knowing what is good and actually doing what is good for our health.

What should we do

At top of my head, we should watch what we eat in general and make our diet rich in fruits and vegetables. There are many studies that show that people who consume fruits and vegetables are less likely to have some certain diseases.

Fruits and vegetables are considered to be a medicine because they provide our body with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and fibers.

Eating is a vital activity just like sleeping and breathing. We seem to forget easily that food gives us energy and allows us to live. We forget to eat for health but instead we eat for convenience. We forget to use food as medicine which nourishes our body and soul but instead we allow food companies to dictate our choice saying that faster is better when it actually is not.

food as medicine

1. Kate

April 28, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I totally believe we can use food as medicine – but like you said it’s so annoying that processed food is so tasty! A good point about children knowing fruit and veg is the healthy option but it’s a shame that they associate healthy options with tasting disgusting (I for one love the taste of healthy food). I think what we really need to focus on is making healthy food cheaper and easier to access (Apples can be 50 p each and what child is going to choose that over chips for £1?!)
    Kate

2. Melissa

April 28, 2017 at 3:51 pm

It’s so important to put good things int our bodies to be healthy! I just wish there was less “bad” stuff at restaurants and fast food places!

3. Gary Savoie

April 28, 2017 at 5:05 pm

This is great! The idea of using nutrition to promote good health is nothing new, but it’s often overlooked. As Hippocrates said over 2000 years ago, “let food be thy medicine and medicine be they food”, yet the majority of us don’t pay nearly enough attention to what we put into our bodies. I have chronic pain due to a surgical mishap and have been able to heal, not through prescription drugs, but through self-care and nutrition. More of us need to realize that what you put into your body is more important than we think!
    I actually wrote a similar article on the importance of what we put into our bodies, that you might like 🙂

4. Maitrayee Ghosh

April 28, 2017 at 5:48 pm

You have indeed highlighted an extremely important point – eating healthy food like fruits and vegetables. Many times, we are eating but surely, they are not healthy ones – they are the so-called “junk food” that do stop our cravings for a temporary period of time but never helps to build our heath. 🙂

5. Shivranjani Rathore

April 28, 2017 at 7:50 pm

I love my fruits and vegetables. It is so crucial to know what is right for your body.

6. roxy

April 28, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Yes! I agree we can use food as medicine. I look back on a lot of the stuff I used to eat and realize that I was unknowingly making myself sick. Now food helps me keep my insides working correctly, and can soothe without being an unhealthy dreck.

7. Riely

April 28, 2017 at 11:07 pm

It’s so true that we know what is good for us and what we should be eating, but still can’t make the right choice. So easily we turn to vitamins and other medicines to support our system when it should start with healthy eating foremost. Thanks for sharing.

8. Lorna Ye

April 29, 2017 at 1:46 am

Nice thoughts. Food is a great source of health needs; in that sense, it is medicine. It is sad that when we want to feel good and stay healthy, many people turn to supplement or medication. How can we forget the important role of food in our life?

9. Shannon Burlingame

April 29, 2017 at 1:56 am

Whenever I feel crummy I always look to adding more fruits and veggies into my diet. I’d much rather resolve a problem naturally than using medication.

10. Ivan

April 29, 2017 at 6:34 am

Yes, I am also a believer that the right food is medicine. Eating healthy, nourishing food can aid in alleviating illnesses as well as help prevent disease. Eating junk, on the other hand, can make us unhealthy.

11. kathryn Maher

April 29, 2017 at 12:30 pm

I love your thought process behind this post on healthy food choices. Your idea that food is medicine is a unique and relevant one. You are right, if people stopped focusing on the wrong foods to avoid and concentrated on the correct ones to consume we’d all be a lot healthier.

12. Noblandmakeup

April 29, 2017 at 12:39 pm

If food isn’t medicine, someone should tell the Chicken soup for the soul people that lol. Good definitely plays a part in our health. I kmow when I eat healthier I feel great and if I eat crap food for a while I start to feel really bad.

13. Sheri

April 29, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Yes we need to be aware of all the stuff we put in our bodies. I am such a sweet tooth and I am trying to change my ways.

14. Ravi

April 29, 2017 at 5:17 pm

This is so very true and often overlooked. Healthy nutrition starts with nutritional food. Cannot agree more:).

15. Elizabeth Brico

April 29, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Yes of course food is a medicine! Modeling healthy eating habits is definitely the best way to instill these skills in our kids. Start with highly flavorful fruits and vegetables, like strawberries, oranges, mango, avocado, carrots, beets, and squash!

16. Mal @ intothecity.me

April 29, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Oh totally! The fact alone that by eating unhealthily and malnutrision our bodies start to show negative symptoms speaks well for itself! I would say that medicine is a strong word, but it definitely can help with fixing some weaknesses in the body by providing substances neccessary for correct development and maintenance! Thanks for the post!

17. Elena

April 30, 2017 at 6:39 am

I agree with the message. The food which is not heavily processed is much better and natural for our bodies and they keep us healthier.

18. Jessica

April 30, 2017 at 9:24 pm

There are so many great foods out there good for our bodies. You are right people fail to eat them. I try to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies into our meals. I also am.a big fan of natural herbs over medicine. Before any medicines, I’m sure people relied on foods and herbs to help their health.

May 1, 2017 at 12:45 am

I study holistic nutrition and your post is right on point. What we eat truly does matter. I found that once I made the switch to a whole foods diet .. it was hard for to eat processed food. They simply didn’t taste good anymore!

20. Erin Creeks

May 1, 2017 at 2:35 am

I firmly believe that food is medicine and a way to ensure that there is no need for remedy if you never have, or rarely have an ailment. Your post is spot on! I use to be a personal trainer and I would tell my clients there is a difference between food and food like substances.

21. Alaine

May 1, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I am now pickier that ever with what we eat at home after my husband got sick. Junk, processed food and the like are a lot tastier but will let you suffer consequences in the long run.

22. Christopher James Mitchell

May 2, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I think this is an interesting thought process that deserves even more attention. Thanks! I’m learning more about this now, and it’s obviously quite important to do so.