10 Tips to Go From Couch Potato to Gym Enthusiast

The benefits of exercise are numerous. Once you start hitting the gym your whole life will change for the better. Just remember to start stretching before exercise or you might hurt yourself during exercise. With time you will get the body you desire, you will be healthier, you will sleep better, be more energetic just to name few.

The thing is, everyone knows about the good things that go hand in hand with regular exercise, but the most difficult thing is to actually do it. Get off your couch forget about your snacks and lying around waiting for a miracle to happen. Make a decision to improve your health and well being and stick to your routine.

Exercise Strategy #1

Start working-out on Monday. At the beginning this might seem like mission impossible, but once you make it your routine you will realize that you are starting the week on the right foot.

Exercise Strategy #2

It is allowed to skip exercise once, if you have a really good reason for that. The next time you have to go to the gym no matter how inconvenient that might be. After all you do not want skipping gym to become your routine.

Exercise Strategy #3

If you feel tired do not use that as an excuse to skip to exercise. Exercise gives you energy, so even if you have to drag yourself to the gym you will feel far better after your workout is done.

Exercise Strategy #4

Cut yourself some slack. If you know that the workout is too difficult for you can always stop. This is actually very motivational, the fact that you know that you are in control of the situation is actually pushing you to finish what you have started.

Exercise Strategy #5

In case you are one of those people that avoid gym just because they do not want to shower, you have no excuses left. Look for something that does not make you sweaty like yoga or strength training.

Exercise Strategy #6

If you believe that you cannot go on your own, find yourself a good trainer. This is where you are allowed to splurge because exercising pays off.

Exercise Strategy #7

Be realistic and do not set the bar too high. Do not expect to have the perfect body after going to the gym for a month.

Exercise Strategy #8

Do not find excuses, we all know that if you want to exercise you can find the time to do that. You can at least start stretching before exercise and you will feel much better already. At least twenty minutes for a walk will pay off.

1. Danielle

May 3, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I have been in a fitness rut lately so your tips were very motivating! I really need to start making exercise a priority and get to the gym more often!

2. Karla

May 3, 2017 at 11:22 pm

This title caught my eye – as I do have couch potato tendencies sometimes. I know #3 is true – I feel more energized after exercise for sure . . . it’s just a matter of convincing myself of that when I’m feeling lazy!

3. RM

May 4, 2017 at 1:01 am

Can I stay a couch potato? 😉 seriously though I love your tips and I’m sure following your advice will have me feeling much better and more energy! 🙂

4. Lori Kullberg

May 4, 2017 at 3:15 pm

I love this! I struggle with getting motivated to exercise even though I know I feel better when I do! I totally agree with the realistic goals and not setting the bar too high. No need to set yourself up for failure. Thanks for the great tips. I will try to practice some of them. 🙂

5. Harmony,Momma To Go

May 21, 2017 at 11:13 am

These are great tips! I try to plan out my workouts for the week. Schedule them like I would other appointments. I also like to mix it up- strength, cardio, different classes, running etc

6. Lacee

May 21, 2017 at 11:52 am

Oh my goodness this is so true. Even after working all day I know that if I can make myself jump on my bicycle then I’ll be filled with energy aftwarwarss. It’s just doing it! 🙂

7. Liz

May 21, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Thank you for these tips. I keep saying I’m going to get up and go for a run or go to the gym, but doing it is a different story.

8. Theresa

May 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Great tips, and strategy #3 is SO TRUE. Getting in some exercise will do so much more for your energy level than taking a nap or some sort of artificial stimulant. Love #7, too. “But I’ve been working out for a week and I have hit my goal weight!” Like anything worth having, it takes time. Thanks for these tips! Now I’m going to go work out 🙂

9. Lauren

May 21, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I wished I could be this person. Chronic Fatigue and Inflammatory Bowel Disease stops me so much to exercise, and it’s so debilitating. If I exercise, it means 2 days in bed for me.

10. Anosa

May 21, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Not sure how I managed to be in this fitness rut but hoping to change all that soon. Great tips

11. Deepa

May 21, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Good tips for couch potatoes..I also have to sometimes push myself for the gym but I try to walk every day at least half an hour.

12. Sloane

May 21, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Good tips! After an injury from a car accident left me unable to work out, i am itching to get back to the gym!

13. ShootingStarsMag

May 21, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I’m not really a gym person, but I have been trying to find other ways to be more active and get exercise in!

14. Chemady

May 21, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I can’t do without going to gym inorder to keep fit. Thanks for sharing these tips.

15. Tina Basu

May 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I am a total couch potato and i hate the gym i am ok with walking, swimming running at times but hate gym!

16. Gina

May 21, 2017 at 9:09 pm

I exercise at home I download these YouTube videos and watch and do exactly what they do I’ve never been to the gym before with try and go great tips as well

17. Juliana Tomasek

May 21, 2017 at 11:22 pm

The best thing I ever did was get a trainer. I was paying money so I had to show up and he pushed me harder than I would have on my own. I havent had a trainer for a while- and I realize now that that is what made the difference. Thank you

18. Amanda

May 22, 2017 at 1:00 am

I feel like you have just given me a kick up the bum to get myself back on the exercise plan 😊 I love these tips. it is crazy how easy it is to forget things like exercise increases energy levels when you are trying to avoid it so much like me haha

May 22, 2017 at 2:06 am

Thanks for reminding me to exercise.. M indeed not a gym person but yes I need to exercise a lot to be fit!

20. Fiona

May 22, 2017 at 10:36 am

Great tips, now to find the motivation to get off the couch…. just kidding I actually go Tuesdays and Fridays to a mummy fitness group and swim wednesdays and fridays. Now to stop eating the junk food LOL

21. Rosemary Palmer

May 22, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Always excuses. And I usually have a lot. Thanks for inspiring.

22. Anna

May 22, 2017 at 4:05 pm

These are great tips!!! Love going to the gym!

23. Amrita

May 23, 2017 at 3:54 am

I have been walking every day without fail for the last 6 months.I have found that once it became a habit I actually felt bad if I didn’t exercise.Imagine that!

24. Anamika

May 23, 2017 at 7:06 am

Before baby really I was figure and health conscious but after delivery I don’t know what happened with me… Really I want to start again 💖 this post motivate me a lot … Thanks for the tips 😊

25. angie

May 24, 2017 at 1:20 am

looks like you have all the great excuses covered.
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

26. LadyLebz

May 25, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Awesome tips 🙂 Especially the one regarding getting a trainer, makes things more realistic and structured 🙂

27. yukti

May 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

very motivational and will always work for fitness

28. RM

May 25, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I wanted to let you know I’ve been following your tips for several weeks and I have already begun to look and feel healthier!

29. jessica

May 26, 2017 at 1:41 am

love these! I used the rule, I have to go but I don’t have to stay. worked great for me since after i warmed up i always stayed.

30. Gabriela Murphy goldberg

May 26, 2017 at 4:10 am

this article is perfect timing! I’ve just started back up with exercising and eating a low carb diet and it feels amazingggg i’ve been feeling like such SH!T lately (before I started working out and such), and I’ll tell ya…I can definitely feel the difference. One day cheating makes me feel even worse than I did before I started being healthier in general! That’s my motivation right now to keep going, me knowing what it feels like if i don’t stick to it!