Learn To Share A Bed With A Snore And Keep Your Sanity

Having a good night sleep can sometimes be a challenge even when you are on your own. Imagine you have to share your bed with a partner that snores then you will be sleep deprived. Waking up grumpy, yawning all day long and feeling tired are only mild symptoms. Sleep deprivation can lead to some serious emotional impacts. There is a good reason sleep deprivation has been used as a form of torture in the past.

About 25 % of newlywed couples in America decide to sleep in separate bedrooms. This might be a temporary solution and partners will get their 8 hours sleep that they desperately need to function normally the next day. But as I said this is only a temporary solution which can take a toll on their bond and intimacy in the long run.

You end up staring at the ceiling

The number of adults that snore regularly is colossal. And, this gets even better, the snoring worsen with age. The airways are narrowed when a person sleeps so the snoring sound comes from the vibrations made while breathing. Even 75 % of people who snore have sleep apnea which increases the risk of developing some serious conditions like heart disease. There are a couple of things you can try which may help you stop snoring.

Sleep Position

When you sleep on your back, the base of your tongue goes to the back wall of your throat, and this is causing a vibrating sound. In order to prevent this, a person should sleep on their side. There are body pillows which support the whole body and keep you sleeping on your side throughout the night. Or even better you can tap, for instance, tennis balls to the back of your pajamas and this will also prevent you from sleeping on your back.

Lose Weight

if you gain weight especially around your neck area, it will squeeze the internal diameter of the throat. This triggers snoring, so our advice would be to lose weight. But unfortunately this does not help always, even thin person snore.

Alcohol

Alcohol makes snoring way worse because it reduces the resting tone of the muscles that are at the back of the throat. Even people who do not snore usually, they will after consuming alcohol.

Hydration

If you are dehydrated, the secretion in your nose becomes stickier and as a result you snore more. Drink plenty of water during the day to have a good night sleep.

Change your pillows

The dust that accumulates in pillows can cause allergic reactions that lead to snoring. If you have pets sleeping in bed with you then you should replace your pillows every 6 months.

READ  Know your Rights:  Sexual Harassment at Work

All in all, avoid alcohol, sleep on your side, have a glass of milk before bed or have a relaxing bath. These might be some simple things that you can do but after a while you will see that they can make a huge difference and reduce your snoring.

share a bed with a snorer

1. Kat

May 3, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Good tips! Sleeping next to somebody who occasionally snorrs when he’s on his back. It is all about the right position!

2. James Smith

May 3, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Good advice. I swear by earplugs and menthol strips when it’s cold and flu season! 😉

3. Laura @thelword

May 3, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Great tips! Thanks! I love the snore strips and when my snore machine husband drinks a few beer …. I have some with him so we both sleep well 😂

4. Noblandmakeup

May 3, 2017 at 5:52 pm

I’m going to share this with my step mom. My dad snored like a monster truck and I really wish I was exaggerating. Maybe this will help them out a little.

5. McKayla

May 3, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info! I’m the snorer! lol mainly just when I’m pregnant or when I’m sick.

6. Erin

May 3, 2017 at 8:09 pm

These were super helpful tips! Thanks for sharing! I’ll have to give my husband some advice soon 🙂

7. Foteini K

May 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm

My ex should read this post, I am the heavy snorer with the broken nose who dreams about trying to turn on a car xD hahahah!
    xoxo My Life as Foteini / Foteini Karagianni ♥

8. Katie Kinsley

May 3, 2017 at 10:57 pm

We tried changing out our pillows, but I am a little worse off now. Though the ones we had previously didn’t help my husband out.

9. Ana Ojha

May 4, 2017 at 3:26 am

Very insightful article! These days I’m struggling with my sleep as there are so many things on my platter that I hardly get 8 hours of sleep.

May 4, 2017 at 4:15 am

Great post. I’m forever poking my husband in the night “Sweetie, will you please roll over?” Do you think the same tips will work with the pug who snores on my pillow?

11. MELANIE EDJOURIAN

May 4, 2017 at 8:51 am

What an interesting read about what causes snoring and how to try and prevent it. My hubby snores mainly when he lies on his back so we avoid this where possible.

12. Shadia Harper

May 4, 2017 at 5:21 pm

My husband always sleeps on his back and literally snores so loud my brain vibrates. I usually push him over on his side but I didn’t know about all these other factors. Thanks for sharing!

13. Ritu Sharma

May 4, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for sharing helpful tips, this will be helpful. I will share this with my friend whose husband always snore. She always keep on saying this to me. It will help her.

May 5, 2017 at 4:03 am

Thanks. I know about some of these tips to reduce snoring, but I was unaware of all of them. Thank you for the great advice about how to reduce snoring. I wish i had seen this sooner.

15. anele

May 5, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Such a good read! You had me with the title of the blog haha. I will definitely be suggesting a few of these tips. I can’t believe that some of it is as simple as changing your pillows. Thank you! Xx

16. Lindsey London Mumma

May 5, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Some great tips here! I think the same can be said for those who share a bed with children lol!

17. sonali jain

May 22, 2017 at 7:11 am

Very interesting and helpful article 🙂 , Definitely going to share with my married friends !

18. Divya

May 25, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Fortunately, neither of us snore, BUT that can and probably will change when we have kids and I’m probably SO TIRED all the time!

19. Beths

May 25, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Yikes! Luckily my husband doesn’t snore (unless he’s sick) and I’m told I don’t either. Great tips for those that do though.

20. Erlene

May 25, 2017 at 11:29 pm

This article kind of made me laugh because my hubby used to snore ALOT. He eventually ended up on a CPAP to help with it. But he lost weight and it helped sooo much.

21. Carrie@TheLavenderHytta

May 26, 2017 at 7:35 am

These are some really great tips! You are definitely right after drinking for a bit it can make the snoring so much worse. I have come up with a snore cream, using essential oils, that my husband uses to help with his snoring. It makes a huge difference.

22. Annemarie LeBlanc

May 26, 2017 at 9:18 am

My husband snores but very lightly. It does not bother me except during nights when I can’t sleep. When that happens, I try to roll him on his side so the snoring stops. Thanks for these tips. I will share it with my sister. Her husband is a heavy snorer.

23. Brandy Champeau

May 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Great tips. I wouldn’t have thought about the dust on the pillows, but you can bet I’ll be changing my pillows after this.

24. Julie @ Running in a Skirt

May 28, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Oh man! Great tips! As a light sleeper I totally get this. Great tips to make the snoring a bit better and take the edge off.

25. Cassidy's Adventures

June 1, 2017 at 4:14 am

This all makes so much sense now! My boyfriend snores so much after he has had alcohol. Luckily for me, I can sleep through anything!

26. Heather Johnson

June 9, 2017 at 3:10 am

My hubby would have been smothered with a pillow by now if he and I didn’t have separate sleeping rooms! I could hear him through earplugs and a fan.