Loneliness A Trap With A Way Out

We have all been stacked into the loneliness trap. As you grow old you realize that you do not have to live alone to feel lonely. Sometimes we are surrounded with lots of people but we still cannot avoid this extreme emotional pain. We have all been there for sure. There has probably been a phase when you had a partner, close friends and colleagues but you still felt pain because of the quality of those relationships.

According to many psychologist loneliness is a subjective feeling, and it is determined by the quality of your relationships and not on quantity.

While many people are aware that they are lonely because, let`s say, they moved to a new city, they have changed their work place or someone close to them died, others do not know that they are slowly but surely getting into the ‘loneliness trap’. They have feelings that they cannot determine and they simply do not want to do anything to get out of the trap. They are slowly starting to accept the situation because they are not very well aware of what is going on.

loneliness trap, into the loneliness

There are a couple of things that lonely people do:

Being pessimistic. They believe that people do not like them around and for that reason they do not even try to interact with their friends.

Avoiding contact. By avoiding socializing they are actually the culprit without even realizing.

People know that you are lonely. Some people can easily tell when someone is lonely so they can avoid just because they do not want to be a part of another person`s drama.

Loneliness is contagious. When someone feels lonely he unintentionally tries to lure their friends into the ‘loneliness trap’. After all, misery likes company.

Losing social skills. If you spend lots of time alone then you forget some basic skills like ‘small talk’.

It is not all that dark as it seems. There are some things that you can do to avoid loneliness. Take initiative. Try to rekindle old friendships, avoid being alone, take a new hobby, volunteer and the list goes on and on. And the most important thing is being optimistic. This might seem easier said than done but at least you can do is try because this is the first step to your well being. You are the one who has to escape the loneliness trap.

loneliness trap, into the loneliness

1. Basundhara Ghosh

May 22, 2017 at 4:45 pm

It’s true. Everyone suffers from loneliness at some point. I think learning new things is the best way out 🙂

2. Mary

May 23, 2017 at 5:27 am

There definitely is a way out, but the person has to want to take that first step to get out of their loneliness funk. Hopefully they are surrounded with family and friends who reconize what they are going through.

3. RM

May 25, 2017 at 11:26 am

Everyone gets lonely at some point…. In a severe case, a think it’s key to have friends/family who can recognize the signs…

4. Danielle

May 25, 2017 at 11:53 am

My cure to loneliness is to take a walk, engulf myself in a new book, or phone a friend. 🙂

5. Carrie Mcguire

May 25, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Surround yourself with people that are motivated and generally happy people is the way I feel like I don’t get lonely. This doesn’t apply to everyone but once I had my son 5 years ago I never felt lonely again, He brings so much light and joy in my life that it is hard to ever feel that way.

6. Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries

May 25, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Whenever I’m lonely, I call my mom. Talking to her always makes me feel better, and our shared connection and history really helps combat loneliness.

7. Jen | My Healthy Homemade Life

May 25, 2017 at 6:04 pm

I rely on my best friend when I’m feeling lonely. It feels good to be around people who know you well.

8. Sarah

May 25, 2017 at 6:35 pm

It is so hard when a loved one is lonely and won’t accept help! You have given great suggestions. I do think we all feel lonely at times! Thanks for this!

9. Deepa

May 25, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Everyone a lonely at times but we need to understand if it’s our family or Friends. Loneliness can lead to many other problems.

10. Chemady

May 25, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Elena, I love reading this great article. There are lot of ways out to loneliness. As for me I don’t give loneliness a chance in my life, I also find a way out. I always try to cheer up people in that situation.

May 26, 2017 at 1:02 am

That’s such a great post.. All of us get into this trap sometime or the other.. For me, I try to meditate & write which gives me lots of optimism!

12. Leah

May 26, 2017 at 9:14 am

I have only been lonely once, between my first serious relationship and my current relationship (now my husband) I have always preferred my own company (i suffer from depression) but when I felt what love and a relationship felt like I didn’t want to be alone anymore. I was so happy (and lucky) when I met the man who would become my husband after about 6 months on my own.

13. Ola

May 26, 2017 at 9:22 am

There is always more happiness in giving. So it would be a good thing for a lonely person to think of ways to help others and then do that little by little. It would be so rewarding.