10 Cheapest Cities in Europe

If you are traveling on a budget then you can find the perfect getaway in Europe. Even though, the word “cheap” is not the first thing that springs to mind when it comes to “the old continent”. Still, there are some cities that are not that popular but are worth visiting. Once you go there you will be wondering why you had not considered going there before. I just think that everyone should be more open to exploring, you cannot call yourself a traveler if you only visit the capital cities or the most tourist hubs.

Some of the cities on the list might not be the cheapest but they are easily accessible, and you can make a stop while you are heading to visit some larger cities.

cheapest cities in europe

1. Budapest, Hungary

cheapest cities in europe

I was very surprised to find out that Budapest is really cheap. We had a really great experience, perfect accommodation and a really luxury experience there.

1. Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic

cheapest cities in europe

Karlovy Vary is actually a very expensive city that is 130 km away from Prague, but once you are in Prague you can find a day trip tour to Karlovy Vary. This is a spa town which is very famous for its hot springs.

1. Prague, Czech Republic

cheapest cities in europe

Prague is also a very cheap city that is worth visiting. Some even say that this capital is equal of Paris when it comes to its beauty. It is a historical city with the best beer in Europe.

1. Istanbul, Turkey

cheapest cities in europe

Istanbul is a city that should definitely be on your radar. This grand city has a lot of history and architecture that must be seen.

1. Vigo, Spain

cheapest cities in europe

Vigo is a port city in Galicia, and also one of the largest cities in this area. This city is easily reachable from anywhere thanks to its massive port and its economic importance.

1. Santiago de Compostela, Spain

cheapest cities in europe

Santiago de Compostela is the last stop of the epic Camino de Santiago. I did not walk the pilgrimage trail though, but I was fascinated by the beauty of this cultural capital.

1. Bratislava, Slovakia

cheapest cities in europe

Most of the things are cheap in Bratislava. You will definitely not spend a lot if you decide to visit this city which is lately gaining popularity.

1. Zagreb, Croatia

cheapest cities in europe

Zagreb is a very beautiful city that is worth visiting. The fact that you can reach the Plitvice Lakes National Park is a reason enough for this city to go on your travel list.

1. Ljubljana, Slovenia

cheapest cities in europe

Ljubljana is the green capital of Europe. This is very laid back city with a perfect atmosphere you can spend hours walking the city and admiring the stunning architecture.

1. Trieste, Italy

cheapest cities in europe

Trieste is a city that was very popular in the past and unfortunately it is forgotten because most tourist head off to Venice or Milan. This is a very charming city with lots of things to offer. There is a beautiful sea view and remarkable architecture.

Have you had a chance to visit any of these cities? What are your plans for this summer?

In case you are planning a trip to the USA then this is the place I wouldn`t miss it for the world: The Grand Canyon.

1. Mr.M

May 5, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I totally agree with your list! Istanbul is very affordable city! I was in some cities from your list, but I was in Istanbul I think more than 10 times and I always come back to see that amazing city. You have really nice posts! I really enjoyed in reading this one!

May 8, 2017 at 5:11 pm

I have heard that Krakos (not sure if that is how you spell it) in Poland is super cheap according to my Polish friend, apparently beers are a pound! I would love to go to Trieste in Italy and I am glad that it is cheap x

May 8, 2017 at 8:32 pm

My husband and I have been wanting to take a trip to Europe for a long time. It’s so nice to know there are places we can go that will be affordable (and fun!) Spain or Italy would be high on our list

4. Noblandmakeup

May 8, 2017 at 8:35 pm

These places are beautiful!! They’re probably so cheap because tourism hasn’t caught up to them. That’s kind of the good and bad about it. It’s good because you can really enjoy your stay, but not so good for the local economy.

5. Nay

May 9, 2017 at 4:37 am

Great choices! Budapest is top of my wish list of cities that I want to visit. Brussels is my absolute favourite but it’s far from cheap!

6. Our Family World

May 9, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for this list. We are going on a trip to Europe this year and it is nice that I came across your blog. It would be nice to be able to visit all of these places!

7. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen

May 10, 2017 at 11:36 am

I haven’t visited Europe yet but in case we do, we will definitely take note of these cheap cities. It would be really nice to be able to see all of them.

8. Ana Ojha

May 12, 2017 at 7:31 pm

This would be a perfect list for my Europe tour! Istanbul and Prague are top on my lists of exploring cities in Europe!

9. Beth Davidson

May 21, 2017 at 2:26 am

Thanks for putting this together! I made my husband’s travel bucket list for him (hehe) and I really think he would love Plitvice Lakes National Park, but he always thinks it’s weird when I tell him we have to go to Croatia. Maybe this will help convince him. Cheap is always a good motivator.

10. Melissa

May 21, 2017 at 2:46 am

Thanks for the list! It’s always good to have cheap option to travel to Europe. These cities look so pretty!
    Xx, Melissa

11. Paige

May 21, 2017 at 1:24 pm

This is actually so handy, I really want to go to Europe sometime next year however, I also don’t want to spend heaps!
    Paige X

12. Jamie Rinderle

May 21, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Great post! I have never even heard of many of these cities, but if I ever go to Europe, then I’ll have to check them out!

13. Nora

May 21, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Beautiful photos and excellent recommendations! We will be doing a road trip around Europe this summer and it sure is helpful to know where to stay and were not to stay. 🙂 We’re not traveling with a super tight budget but it’s always nice to save some money or live a bit more luxurious.

14. Bethanny Sudibyo

May 21, 2017 at 7:37 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Santiago de Compostela and do the Camino. But I never thought that it would be a part of this list! Reading this makes me want to go there even more.

15. Emily

May 21, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I love seeing new places – I’ve never managed to visit any of these places but will have to add them to the list!
    Emily xx

16. Nicole Shillings

May 21, 2017 at 9:58 pm

This is a great list. We’ve recently been talking about traveling to Europe and I think this list will help us make some plans!

17. Gina

May 24, 2017 at 4:03 pm

I can’t believe such beautiful places are cheap thanks for the info my favorite place I will visit is Zagreb, Croatia

18. Dalba

May 24, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Thanks so much for these awesome suggestions! I have not gone to Europe but it is on my bucket list. SO is the Grand Canyon. I am hoping to take my family there this summer!

19. Chemady

May 24, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I have been looking forward to travel to Europe but with the help of this great list I would be able to make the right choice.

May 25, 2017 at 1:37 am

Agree with Prague & Budapest, but not sure for Italy. I went Italy for 10 days last year & found it to be costly enough! A good compilation though:)

21. Cass

May 25, 2017 at 2:18 am

I consider this list a places of MUST VISITS!! Who knew these beautiful places were so inexpensive . My favorite photo is number 6! omg so breathe taking!

22. ellie

May 25, 2017 at 1:27 pm

This is a great list for sure! Italy is a country I always love to visit! The food, the scenery and all the little Mountain towns and villages there are beautiful!
    Ellie |

23. Courtneylynne

May 26, 2017 at 12:12 am

Ooooo so many awesome destinations!!!!! I would love a trip to Spain!!!