Simple Habits To Stop Overthinking

Overthinking is a destructive thing that is holding people back from the life that they really want to live. Every little problem becomes bigger and scarier than it is. In other words, they overthink positive things up to a point they are not positive anymore. Overthinking is a process that we develop as we grow older. This is our body and mind trying to rationalize things. This inability to get out of your own head will only leave you in a state of constant anguish.

There are two kinds of people, people who overthink things from time to time and people who cannot seem to quiet their thoughts. Which one are you?

Some Of The Dangers Of Overthinking

Overthinking is not just some things that leave you without sleep at night but it is something that can take a serious toll on your well being. Overthinking leads to a vicious cycle that is sometimes difficult to break. Dwelling on your mistakes may only increases your risk of mental problems. Overthinking also leads to emotional distress, which you usually try to escape with alcohol or food.

How To Stop Overthinking

The first step in putting an end to overthinking is awareness. Once you realize that the core problem is your overthinking you can do something to stop this vicious cycle. Remember that your thoughts are not being productive and you should not worry about the things that you cannot control.

Thinking about your problems does not have a positive impact, but thinking about a solution does. So stop asking your self why something happened, for instance, and think about what you can do to solve the issue.

Give yourself a specific period of the day when you can worry about your problems. We know that it is impossible to stop overthinking at once and suddenly be positive all the time. Give yourself about 20 to 30 minutes where you can go over and over a problem and do what you want. This way, when you think about an issue during the day, remind yourself that you will think about it later.

Become more aware of the here and now. Stop worrying about yesterday, and do not worry about tomorrow.

Sometimes when you are telling yourself to stop thinking about something you just cannot switch off. The best thing you can do is to keep yourself busy. Start working on a project or have a conversation on a completely different subject. This way you will distract your mind from your poisonous thoughts.

1. theconfusedsoulsree

May 11, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Such a nice write up, Loved it. I myself overthink a lot of time, this will help me.

2. Lacee

May 11, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Yes! Worrying and overthinking don’t add a single minute to our lives. It’s so easy to get caught up thinking and over analyzing. Great tips!

3. Sarah

May 11, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Good recommendation! I try daily to not overthink things. There are so many things I COULD worry about, but that would just take time away from what really needs to get done.

4. Marina

May 11, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I’ve always been an over thinker to the point of some anxiety and just passing up opportunities due to it. What a good reminder to stay present and live in the moment. Thanks for this.

5. Courtney

May 11, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for these great tips! I’ve struggled with anxiety since I was in high school so I’m prone to overthink things. It’s something I work on continually.

6. Lorna Ye

May 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm

That’s exactly the article that I need to read. I always overthink-worrying about this and that and planning for all kinds of possible scenarios. Your tips are very helpful.

7. Pooja Krishna

May 11, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Great tip on compartmentalizing worries – they seem so much smaller when we do that!

8. Ben

May 11, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Nice post. So often I hear clients needing help to slow down, examine and challenge their overthinking. To take them out of that headspace which, on some level, makes sense to them but ultimately limits what they want. To challenge this I ask, “Is that true? Or are you assuming it to be true?”. I really want them to get super clear that what they are assuming to be true may not always be accurate, or even realistic. It’s the assumption that stops so many from taking action.

9. Curvylogic

May 12, 2017 at 2:12 am

Great post. I am definitely guilty all of it being an over-thinker on many occasions. Most of the time it is from not living in the moment as I’m worried either about the past or the future. We really do need to stay present and it will alleviate some of our fears.

10. Roxy

May 12, 2017 at 7:11 pm

I try to use these habits b/c I’m def an overthinker. I think what helps me most is to thinking about it for 20-30 mins and then leave it alone. Go do something else. Busy my mind on something else.

11. Sushmita Thakare Jain

May 14, 2017 at 7:27 am

Such an amazing post! just like anything in excess is injurious same was it applies for overthinking. You have shared some amazing points above. Thanks for sharing.

12. Sushmita Thakare Jain

May 14, 2017 at 7:30 am

Such a fantastic post! Just like anything when done in excess is injurious same was it applies even for overthinking. You have shared some good points above. Thanks for sharing. Many fo struggles with anxiety and face issues. This post will help them big time! 😀

13. Moipone

May 15, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I am guilty of overthinking every little thing in my life. Thank you for the tips

14. Tina Basu

May 15, 2017 at 6:51 pm

That’s a very thoughtful post, I sometimes do overthink but then I also know it, it doesn’t help finally.

15. Fatima Torres

May 15, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Glad to hear I’m not alone in overthinking things in life. I will happily pass this piece on to a friend who needs some of these pointers.

16. Samantha Carraro

May 20, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I overthink way too much. I think it’s one of my biggest flaws and it’s certainly not healthy for me. So thank you for sharing these tips, I’ll surely try to follow them!

Samantha | https://samanthacarraro.wordpress.com

17. Tonya Wilhelm

May 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm

What a thoughtful post. This is totally me! I’m about to be on a live radio show and I’m running everything through my head. It’s driving me crazy. Breathe. Thanks for this, perfect timing.