Plitvice Lakes National Park: Chasing Waterfalls in Croatia

(Last Updated On: June 9, 2017)

This post contains affiliate links

The first time I found out about Plitvice Lakes National Park was from a brochure that I got as a teenager. I never thought that I will visit it myself but I kept the brochure on my desk and I was daydreaming so many times about visiting this breathtaking place.

16 green emerald lakes and 90 waterfalls are so difficult to describe, you simply have to experience this magnificent and unspoiled nature.

I have visited Plitvice National Park two times and the place is simply packed. I even read somewhere that more than 1.5 milion people visit the park each year but it is so big so you can still take awesome pictures without someone photo bombing you.

Some Useful Information about Plitvice Lakes National Park

Opening hours: 07:00 – 18:00

Admission: It all depends on the season, but the tickets are not more than $30. You can find the prices on their official website.

When to go: Plitvice Lakes are breath taking all the time, so no matter the season you should go.

How much time you need: Plitvice Lakes are great to visit for a day tour. So I would say that you need at least 5 – 6 hours to see the most of it. You can book guided tours or you can go on your own. The paths are very well marked so there is no way you`ll end up lost.

Get a map: At the entrance when you purchase the tickets get a map, so you can see where you want to go and how much you want to see.

The Lower Lakes and The Upper Lakes

There are 2 entrances at Plitvice Lakes National Park. The first entrance will take you to the Lower Lakes which are more serene and give you a calming feeling, and the second entrance will take you to the Upper Lakes where all the spectacular waterfalls are, and they make the area more wild. I would suggest you take Entrance 1 and make your way up the Upper Lakes.

Getting to Plitvice Lakes

You can visit Plitvice Lakes from many cities in Croatia. The closest city is Zadar, then Zagreb but you can find day trip tours also from Split, Trogir and Rijeka.

We were staying in Zagreb and there are buses running regularly to and from the National Park. The thing that I liked the best was that the buses were always on time.

Once you are in the park there are couple of trails you can follow and you can go on foot or by ferry. The entrance fee covers the tickets for transportation around the park.

Where to stay

We were staying in a hostel in Zagreb both times but you can also spend the night close to the National Park and explore it for couple of days, because let`s face it you cannot see everything in a day. Both times I went to Plitvice Lakes was during the summer so next time I am visiting I will definitely go during the winter because judging from some photos that I have seen it is mind-blowing.

If you are planning a trip to Plitvice Lakes National Park you can check whether your dates are free here:

Guided Tour

The first time I visited the place I took a guided tour and it was great. I learned some facts and the person was really nice but the next time I just wanted to wander on my own and enjoy the nature.

There are many advantages to tour Plitvice Lakes with a group. Usually the tour guide is a local and you do not have to worry about anything.

You should take advantage of TripAdvisor when it comes to guided tours, because there you can find the best ones. On the other hand, you can read about other people`s experiences, and usually they are honest so you cannot go wrong. What I love the most is when you search a place on TripAdvisor you can come up with so many ideas of what to do and see in a given place.

Things to bring

Even if you are visiting Plitvice Lakes during the summer it is possible to rain, so you should have a rain poncho with you. Another important thing is mosquito repellent and the most important of all, good walking shoes.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

BLOGLOVIN | PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

1. robin rue

May 29, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Oh how beautiful! My sister was in Croatia last year and is dying to get back. It is such a lovely country to visit.

2. Bailie

May 30, 2017 at 12:14 am

How this looks incredible! I love traveling, so I’ll put this on my bucket list! I love the water, it looks magical.

3. Nikki

May 30, 2017 at 12:57 am

This place is gorgeous! I would totally hold onto a brochure and put it on my bucket list.

4. Tonya Wilhelm

May 30, 2017 at 1:02 am

Just amazing. I’m blown away by all that beauty. The water looks so inviting. It looks like you guys had a great trip. Thanks for sharing all your great photos.

5. Esperanza

May 30, 2017 at 2:10 am

Holy moly, this place looks insanely gorgeous! I can’t believe it’s in Croatia! Adding it to my list, thanks for sharing 🙂

6. Heather Johnson

May 30, 2017 at 2:18 am

Croatia looks like such a gorgeous place! I am super jealous of all those wonderful pictures you got!

7. Joline

May 30, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Wow. Your photos are stunning! And yes, finding spots where nobody can photobomb you is very important lol. We sometimes need to be strategic/creative about that so nobody else is in our photos!

8. ryan

May 30, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Wow, that looks like something right out of a movie! Insane. I am jealous. Great photos

9. arita muhaxheri

May 30, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Pivlice is one of the many Croatian wonders, I went there as a child and your post brought back so many wonderful memories <3 the photos are simply breathtaking

10. Navi

May 30, 2017 at 5:12 pm

wow this looks so beautiful! i’ve heard that Croatia is a hidden gem and can’t wait to go someday.

11. Breena Blake

May 30, 2017 at 5:54 pm

This park is breathtaking! And your pics are amazing; they should be in a travel magazine!

12. Christianne

May 30, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Wow! This is amazing! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

May 30, 2017 at 6:46 pm

A far cry from Britain’s sewage filled beaches and lakes, these green emerald lakes amazing. I can just imagine lying there and watching the whole world go around me x

14. Deepa

May 30, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Beautiful lake and great description. Good to know about this place. Thanks for the virtual trip.

15. Katie Kinsley

May 30, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I would love to go on a trip to Croatia! The pictures are so gorgeous and it looks amazing.

16. Jackie

May 30, 2017 at 8:19 pm

This is so pretty and your photographs are stunning. I’ve never heard of this place but now that I have it makes me want to visit. Glad you got to see it in person and hope you enjoyed but how can you not since everything seems so magical.

17. five little doves

May 30, 2017 at 9:54 pm

WOW!! I have heard that Croatia is beautiful and looking at these photos I really want to visit! What a beautiful country!

18. Alicia

May 30, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Oh wow, this place is absolutely GORGEOUS! I would never wanna leave!!

19. carol

May 30, 2017 at 11:50 pm

This is a great post with lots of detail! I’ve seen this park before and now this is definitely on my list of places to visit!

20. Dionna Nicole Chambers

May 31, 2017 at 12:30 am

First off, I want to go to Plitvice Lakes!! The photos are beautiful – 16 lakes and 90 waterfalls? I am in!! I especially love waterfalls. I bet this was a life changing experience. Thank you for sharing!!

21. Angela Milnes

May 31, 2017 at 12:45 am

What beautiful pictures. This looks like an amazing place to visit. So tranquil and beautiful.

May 31, 2017 at 1:15 am

wow they look gorgeous really.. have been trying to chase croatia on a serious note since last year when we ended up getting Italy! You’ve motivated me back now:)

23. Enricoh Alfonzo

May 31, 2017 at 1:16 am

Se manifique views and vibes! i love the photo journal and descriptions. makes me wanna hop on a plane right now lol.
    I wish to visit this place soon

24. Toughcookiemommy

May 31, 2017 at 1:18 am

I never thought of Croatia as being such a lovely vacation destination. The sights and nature views are absolutely breathtaking.

25. Dianne Salonga

May 31, 2017 at 2:55 am

What’a a paradise! I wish I can visit that place someday.

May 31, 2017 at 3:29 am

I can’t believe how beautiful Plitvice Lakes National Park is! Your photos are a pretty as postcards. If I went, I’m sure I’d simply sit and look at the waterfalls all day long. Isn’t Mother Nature the best?

27. Annemarie LeBlanc

May 31, 2017 at 4:23 am

Such jaw dropping beauty! One day won’t be enough for me to marvel at the beauty of those waterfalls. I wish Croatia was just a couple of hundred miles away. so I can just drive there and enjoy this awesome work of nature.

28. Neha

May 31, 2017 at 11:19 am

This is such a wonderful place, I am going to put this on my list. Croatia, I have heard very less about this place. the ladies look amazing, really. And the water color is something so unique and varied over here.

29. eazynazy

May 31, 2017 at 11:26 am

omg these pictures are stunning, am in totally in love with this place now. I hope to visit this place soon

30. June

May 31, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Wow, the blue of that lake is just gorgeous! You can see all the way to the bottom.

June 1, 2017 at 5:41 am

You are gorgeous. But the waterfalls here are pretty amazing as well. I was just talking about waterfalls today. I definitely would love to visit this place.

32. Amrita

June 1, 2017 at 7:28 am

Stunning pictures. I am speechless. The water looks like emerald indeed.Bookmarking thus for Croatia trip .Plitvice Lake looks magical

33. sonali jain

June 1, 2017 at 10:13 am

All the pictures looks incredible and amazing 🙂 sch beautiful place to visit! Thanks for sharing !

34. angela milnes

June 2, 2017 at 5:51 am

Omg, what a beautiful place to visit it really looks amazing and I wish I can go there someday!

35. Aziel Morte

June 3, 2017 at 12:13 am

What a beautiful place to visit and It looks relaxing I want to go there too

36. Tiffany VanSickle

June 3, 2017 at 3:30 am

Gosh…this looks absolutely stunning! Those waterfalls are breathtaking!

37. joseph baguio

June 6, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for sharing a beauty of Croatia. I served during the Cold War stationed in Germany and years after followed the aftermath of the regional conflict of the Croatia/Serbian war. Conflict aways extends a shove for many to distance themselves from the war and the aftermath. After many years since and stumbling upon your blog you dispelled the memory I have parked of a subtle remembrance of Croatia. The beauty and pictures are an amazing and no where I can compare through my travels. I hope I have an opportunity to visit in person. Thanks again for sharing your journey and making the world a little smaller.

38. Cali

June 6, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Plitvice Lakes are so beautiful! Though I still struggle to pronounce it correctly! I went last year and enjoyed it immensely but was a little bit pressed for time, so I would definitely love to go back and wander slowly! Great post and beautiful pictures.

39. Jo Jo

June 7, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a lovely place to visit. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jo Jo

40. Sally

June 8, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Wow! Those pictures are amazing. Croatia has always been on my bucket list. I never know they had 90 waterfalls. I’ll keep this posting in my travel files for future reference.

41. Sandy N Vyjay

June 9, 2017 at 5:06 am

The lakes look so surreal as if they have emerged from a painting. The waterfalls too are stunning. Your pictures bring alive the enchanting landscapes in vivid colour. Would love to get lost in this beautiful place someday.

42. Paula - Gone with the Wine

June 9, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Wow, what a stunning place! I love that turquoise water. I have never been in Croatia but I have heard that it has become super popular among the tourists. I definitely want to visit there someday. These pictures just confirmed that!

43. Iza Abao

June 10, 2017 at 12:40 pm

The water is so clear and the view is just very beautiful. It looks like a perfect spot to go hiking too. It is massive so I think every tourist can take selfies. I would really like to visit Plitvice Lakes National Park someday.

44. Bruce Schinkel

June 11, 2017 at 3:07 pm

WOW I never knew this existed, and now I must go! thanks so much for sharing, I love visiting places like this, especially when so many amazing waterfalls are available