Lake Bled: Slovenia`s Hidden Gem

(Last Updated On: August 13, 2017)

If you happen to be in Slovenia then a trip that you should take is visiting the Lake Bled. If you by any chance googled Slovenia then you definitely must have seen the photos of this fairy tale place. Lake Bled is situated just outside the capital city, Ljubljana.

Bled is much more than just a lake. It is a place that you can rent a boat or hike during the summer and enjoy the beautiful snowy mountains during the winter. So, no matter what you want to do and see Lake Bled will not disappoint you. Everywhere you turn you see breathtaking landscapes. And on the other hand, there are other things to do but stare, even though that is not a bad thing to do while in Bled.

You can hike up the mountain peaks or head to the castle. Most of the tourists take a day trip to Bled but I would say that you should stay for at least couple of nights because it has lots to offer and you will not feel bored at all. If you are planning a trip to Lake Bled you should check if your dates are available here:

Bled is a very small town and the best thing is it is more stunning when all the tourists leave. You can see its true colors then. It is a place that will give you a serene feeling and you can forget all your troubles.

Bled Castle

Visiting Bled Castle is obligatory. You have a stunning view once you hike up and you can also have a dinner at the posh restaurant. Bled Castle is considered to be the oldest castle in Slovenia.

The Castle is just 130 meters above the Lake Bled. Once you are in the Castle you will have a spectacular view of the turquoise water and the island in the middle of the lake.

Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj

There is another lake which is close to Lake Bled, Bohinj. For some reason people compare these two lakes but they are very different and if you have the chance then you should visit them both. The only thing that it is the same is that they are close to each other in location. In my opinion, if you have time to visit only one lake then you should choose Lake Bled because it has more to offer. Lake Bohinj is stunning as well but there is no island or a castle.

Transportation

There is a bus and a train that can take you to Lake Bled from Ljubljana. But the best way to explore Slovenia is to find appropriate day tour. That way you can do more and see more instead of waiting for a bus or a train. By doing this I managed to visit both lakes and had more time to relax, and most of all I had a place to leave my heavy backpack as well. You can search the best tours on TripAdvisor and find the one that suits you the best.

Have you ever been to Bled? If you ever go to Slovenia would you like to visit this fairy tale place? Share your thoughts with us.

BLOGLOVIN | PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

1. Angelica

June 5, 2017 at 10:07 pm

What beauty! This will have to go on my Bucket list!

2. robin rue

June 6, 2017 at 10:06 am

My sister was actually there last year. She loved visiting Lake Bled and Slovenia in general. She talks about going back all the time.

3. Destany

June 6, 2017 at 11:58 am

That is stunningly gorgeous! The views are just breathtaking. I could sit and look at that forever.

4. Tara

June 6, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Beautiful pictures and great guide! I’m adding this to my travel list!

5. Heather Johnson

June 6, 2017 at 2:18 pm

What a gorgeous place to visit! I must admit that I have never even been out of the United States.

6. Adriana Lopez

June 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

wow what a magical place, have heard a lot about Slovenia and what a beautiful place it is but have never been now I want to go!

7. Alicia

June 6, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Wow! This place is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to go visit someday.

8. Needa

June 6, 2017 at 11:39 pm

OMG !! its so stunning !! specially the castle on the top !! Amazing view

9. Mal

June 6, 2017 at 11:58 pm

I’ve never been to Slovenia, these places look dreamy! Now I’d love to go!

10. Jolleen

June 7, 2017 at 12:37 am

That does not look real! I looked at that picture and could not believe how beautiful that was. Couldn’t possibly be real! I want to go like NOW.

June 7, 2017 at 1:23 am

Such a scintillating beauty.. The lake, castle it all looks so serene! SO one more country is added in Must travel list to be covered in next 3 years! Great post!

12. Sylvester Vanessa

June 7, 2017 at 1:53 am

Everything there seems so peaceful! I could definitely sit there all day and enjoy the view!

13. Dominique

June 7, 2017 at 4:28 am

Your photos are absolutely breathtaking! You have inspired me to create a new Pinterest board about places I want to travel to! I have definitely added this to my bucket list.

14. Carrie@thelavenderhytta

June 7, 2017 at 7:13 am

It looks like a beautiful place to visit! I would love to go there and explore and definitely check out that castle. I have this obsession with old castle and churches.

15. Carol Cassara

June 7, 2017 at 8:34 am

It’s so beautiful out there and it’s definitely worth going to. I love that there are activities that you can do during the summer and during the winter. The view at night is stunning!

June 7, 2017 at 10:48 am

Slovenia was never on my to see list but as someone who is a fan of fairytales that castle above Lake Bled is absolutely enchanting. It is such a beautiful place!

17. Joanna

June 7, 2017 at 11:05 am

I have been to Slovenia a few years ago and I didn’t miss the chance to visit Lake Bled. The scenery there is simply amazing, with that blue sky reflecting in the water and the mountains standing as the background. Did you also visit the nearby Vintgar Gorge?

18. Katy SkipTheBag

June 7, 2017 at 11:42 am

Wow, that place is unbelievable! It’s going on my list of places to visit. Thanks for all the helpful information.

19. Alice

June 7, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Stunning indeed! Loving so much of this amazingly beautiful place. Love those pics.

20. Deepa

June 7, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Bled castle is so pretty. I loved all the pictures. Never heard of this place. Thanks for the virtual trip.

21. Crystal

June 7, 2017 at 5:02 pm

It does look like a fairy tale! I definitely need to add this to my bucket list,

22. Jen | My Healthy Homemade Life

June 7, 2017 at 6:25 pm

What an absolutely gorgeous place! I’ve never hear of Lake Bled but’s it’s definitely going on my bucket list!

23. Thirty30Courtney

June 7, 2017 at 7:09 pm

This is beautiful! I will be visiting Eastern Europe next week and wish I had the opportunity to visit this lake. I never would have guessed it was in Slovenia but now I learned something new.

24. Louise

June 8, 2017 at 12:12 am

Oh, wow! This lake is absolutely beautiful. I really need to start seeing more of the world πŸ™‚
    Louise x

June 8, 2017 at 12:25 am

I can’t believe how beautiful a place this is! I’ve never been to Slovenia or heard of Lake Bled, and I’m so glad you introduced your readers to it. I’d so love to visit the castle! Can you imagine, if it’s walls could talk, all of the stories they could tell? (ps: such incredible photos!)

26. entirely erika

June 8, 2017 at 1:35 am

This is a great read! I will totally save this for my later travels! Thank you for the great info and pictures!
    – erika

27. Toughcookiemommy

June 8, 2017 at 2:46 am

I didn’t realize that Slovenia was such a beautiful destination. I love all the nature views and the nature sights.

28. Tiara Wilson

June 8, 2017 at 3:54 am

This looks like a gorgeous location. I am loving this. I would love to visit!

29. Lori

June 8, 2017 at 3:55 am

What a beautiful place. The castle looks straight from a fairy tale. Thank you for sharing your amazing pictures. I learned something new today! πŸ™‚

30. Prateek Goel

June 8, 2017 at 6:27 am

I’ve seen video on Slovenia. It looks so similar like you have told in this post. Yaa Lake bled is a gem out here. A perfect destination to spend time exploring yourself.

31. MELANIE EDJOURIAN

June 8, 2017 at 10:24 am

Oh wow what stunning scenery it looks so beautiful there. I must show this to my husband as I would love to go for a holiday there and see it for myself.

32. Lindsey London Mumma

June 8, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Ok, so this place is truly not real! If it is this is the most beautiful and magical place that I have ever seen and would love to visit.

33. The Sun Mama

June 8, 2017 at 12:48 pm

This place is so beautiful and serene!!! What a blessing you were able to experience it!!!

34. Ra'Nesha

June 8, 2017 at 6:15 pm

What a beautiful location I have to add to my bucket list I love being around water, nature and outdoors I find it to be so peaceful.

35. Marisa

June 8, 2017 at 7:39 pm

this look like such an amazing place! I absolutely love the pictures and especially the castle!

36. shannon

June 8, 2017 at 10:12 pm

This is Slovenia?!? OMG it literally looks like a painting or something you see in a movie. I had no idea the country was so beautiful. I’m adding this to my bucket list of places to visit!

37. Elise Cohen Ho

June 9, 2017 at 12:35 am

WOW! I had no idea that Slovenia was so beautiful. I just love that castle. It is in such a precarious position. I wonder what it was like when it was first built.

38. Dunja Kacarevic

June 9, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Slovenia is beautiful country which I never visited. These pictures are nice, but unfortunately, that is against my views and my lifestyle. I only travel if I’m going to visit local communities and help them in any way, meet the people, help them with their problems and do the volunteer work. I never felt so empty like when I was traveling just to see the nature or the city monuments. People taking their selfies and crowds of people. I like to really see the soul of the place and meet the people. That is what traveling is all about

39. Claire

June 9, 2017 at 8:34 pm

That is definitely a hidden gem! The view is amazing, seriously. I would love to visit Slovenia sometime. I want to travel all around Europe so bad, and it’s definitely on my list. I’m pinning this on my travel guide for future reference.

40. Denice

June 10, 2017 at 7:18 am

Breathtakingly beautiful! I hope we can go there someday. I love how it looks like a place imagines from fairytales.

41. Sheri

June 11, 2017 at 2:34 pm

We are not far away at all being in Austria so this would definitely be a place we could easily see and visit. The pictures are wonderful.

42. EG

June 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Slovenia has long been on my list as a highly underrated destination and Lake Bled is just as high of a priority. Beautiful area shot you have of the island and Castle itself…did you take that photo with a drone?

43. Swati

June 13, 2017 at 3:33 pm

What a lovely place Lake Bled and Bled Castle. I would love to visit this place. Your pictures are amazing especially the shot of Bled city at night.

44. Patranila

July 14, 2017 at 7:16 pm

This place is stunning! Those views are breathtaking. I felt like a princess just looking at the pictures!