15 FAIRY TALE TOWNS IN EUROPE

(Last Updated On: December 9, 2017)

This post contains affiliate links

There is no doubt that the most charming fairy tale towns are in Europe. Medieval castles and half timbered homes are the perfect getaway when you need a break. They are postcard perfect and can transport you into another time. The ideal time to visit them would be the winter. They all have Christmas markets and you will not believe that you are in a modern age anymore. But this is only my personal opinion. You can visit whenever you can, just make sure to go at least once to one of these fairy tale towns which are a delight to one`s eyes.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

I will start the list with my favourite fairy tale town Rothenburg ob der Tauber. This is one of the most charming small towns not only in Europe but in the whole world! You need at least one day to explore those cobblestone streets. And the best part is that this town is easily reachable from Nuremberg, Munich and Stuttgart. You can see the whole town from the Town Hall Tower, but I would suggest you to visit in the morning before the tourist set in.

Meissen, Germany

Some people think that Meissen is a city that resembles Prague a lot.  Maybe because of the red roofs, or because of the 15th century castle on the top of the town, either way it is well worth the visit. This is one of the oldest towns in Saxony with a culture that is uniquely German. This town is known for its porcelain production that dates back in the 16th century and it is still going on. If you want to learn something about the town`s history then you should definitely check out the Meissen Porcelain Museum

Bled, Slovenia

Lake Bled is one of the most romantic and picturesque places in Slovenia. In the middle of the lake there is a small island, which is Slovenia`s only island, with the Assumption of Mary Church. You can get to the island with a traditional wooden boat called pletnas. The legend tells that if you hear the bells of the church they will make your wishes come true. Every Christmas there is an event that tells the story of the sunken bells that were sent from the pope to an inconsolable widow. So, no matter if you are looking for a romantic getaway, sports activity or a relaxation holiday, you must visit Lake Bled.

Read more: Lake Bled, Slovenia`s Hidden Gem

Gent, Belgium

Gent is another of the radar medieval small town in Belgium. This is the third most populous city in Belgium but tourists have just discover this hidden pearl recently. Besides strolling the city and admiring the street art, another great place that is worth the visit is the Blanco Gallery among all the other art spaces that are popping out in the city.

Annecy, France

Annecy is a small town in the southeast France that has many things to offer, from swimming in the lake to taking in the beauty of the place. You can do so many things once you are there. You can visit the Pont des Amours if you are traveling with your significant other. The legend says that if you kiss each other on the bridge you will be happy and together forever. I am a bit skeptic about this yet it is a nice sight. Explore some of the many churches there or simply spend a day at the beach.

Colmar, France

Colmar is a small, beautiful and historical city in the Alsace region in France. The town is also known as “A Little Venice” because there is an area in the town that is crossed by canals. One of the most visited places here is The Unterlinden Museum and the Gothic- style church St Martin`s Church. The city is beautiful during the day but even more magical during the night, so just find a cozy corner, order a wine and watch the world go by.

Mallaig, Scotland

Mallag is a town that is situated on the north west coast of Scotland. This is a remote fishing port that many people find like a great place to relax. There are many things that you can do here but I would suggest you the Circular Walk and see the Mallag harbor from above.

Hallstatt, Austria

Hallstatt is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that is very popular with the tourist. Before the 19th century the only way to get to this magical town was by boat or mountain trail. There are so many places to see in Hallstatt but on top of my list is the Kalvarienberg Church which is located on the Kalvarienberg mountain where you have a stunning view of the town and the lake. And if you want to learn about the history of Hallstatt then you should head to the Museum.

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Cesky Krumlov is a magnificent Czech town that might not be as impressive as Prague is but it is definitely worth the visit. All the significant attractions are in the historic center so you do not have to run from one place to another. What you can do is, enjoy each place you discover and spend as much time as you want. I would advise you to visit the Hluboka Castle and Czechia`s only Baroque theater which is located in the Cesky Krumlov Castle.

Sintra, Portugal

Sintra is not yet another beautiful destination but it is one of the most alluring cities that you can visit. There is something for everyone here. You can chase the waves or indulge in the sun at the nearby coast, or experience the mysery of the Quinta da Regaleria. One of the most famous landmark in SIntra is the Pena Palace which was designed by Portugal`s King Fernando II. These multicolored towers are categorized as UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Bibury, England

There are many beautiful villages in England but none of them is anything like Bibury. This village will give you a unique experience of honey colored cottages surrounded by unspoiled nature. Bibury is just a short drive from Oxfordshire. Fans of the romantic comedy Bridget Jones`s Diaries would like to visit the place because some of the scenes were shot in Bibury.

Reine, Norway

Reine is a very small fishing village that draws many tourists. Most people are impressed with the serenity this place offers with its calm blue waters and idyllic colored houses. Reine is considered one of the most charming small towns in Norway. It is located on the island of Moskenesoya.

Riomaggiore, Italy

There is not even one person that has not heard of the Cinque Terre in Italy. Five small fishing villages, that tourists usually visit in one hike which starts in Riomaggiore. Forgive me for being so harsh, that is wrong on so many levels. You need to spend more time in this magical place. It is beautiful when it is hot, it is beautiful when it is cloudy, and you want to be there from dawn till dusk.

Positano, Italy

One of the most photogenic towns on the Amalfi Coast in Italy is Positano. It is only 20 minutes from Sorrento and 75 minutes from Naples. You can visit the city in a day trip or you can stay longer, but bear in mind that it is one of the most expensive cities with luxurious hotels on the Amalfi Coast. Even Spiaggia Grande is one of the longest and most beautiful beaches which attract celebrities.

Check TripAdvisor for the lowest hotel prices.

Cong, Ireland

Cong, also known as “The Quiet Man” county, is a small picturesque village in Ireland. A stroll through this tranquil village is like a stroll through the history of Ireland. Starting with the monastery which was built by Turlach O`Connor, the High King of Ireland and finishing on the plain of Moytura in cross, famous for the battle between ancient tribes of Ireland.

So, find a cheap flight on TripAdvisor and book your ticket today to one of these magical places and see it for yourself because as the Asian Proverb goes it is always: “Better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.”

Where to stay while in Europe

If you are planning a trip to one of these beautiful places you can check availability on Booking.com since this is the best and the most reliable website that I always use for finding accommodation.

Another great option is to rent a place through Airbnb. You can find great rooms and apartments since there are a lot of great options. You can use this code to get $27 free AirBnb credit.

READ  THINGS TO DO ON A LAZY WEEKEND IN AMSTERDAM

Inspired? Pin this:

15 Fairy Tale Towns in Europe

You might also like:

10 Things to See In Paris What to see in Nuremberg

1. Ania Travels

July 12, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for sharing this, I’m living in Europe for the summer and will ahve to check some of these out. They look absolutely beautiful.

2. Cassie

July 12, 2017 at 11:18 pm

I’ve only visited Gent on this list but it was one of my lovely memories of my trip to europe. I happened to be catching a bus from gent to Berlin after staying in Brugges for a few days. So I caught a train from Brugges to Gent, then when I got off I couldn’t find anywhere to print my bus ticket! So I walked into a bar attached to the train station to ask if they knew where I could print something. They not only printed my ticket for me, but made sure I had a few free beers for the road 🙂 The kindness of random strangers is one my favourite part of travelling! I can’t wait to visit some of these other places!

3. Claire

July 13, 2017 at 12:29 am

I love this post. All the photos are beautiful and this guide was interesting & helpful to know little by little about every cities. I’m planning a travel to Europe soon.. can’t wait!

4. Cynthia

July 13, 2017 at 11:16 am

Stunning! Europe in general has always been on my bucket list, but so far have only stopped by London and Madrid. My sister went recently went to Germany and she visited some of these medieval places, she said she felt like crying because it is too beautiful, exactly like you say, travelling back in time.

5. Rhian Westbury

July 13, 2017 at 11:56 am

None of these are places that I’d instantly think of to visit but they all look stunning, I definitely need to do little day trips away from city centres when I go away x

6. Chef Dennis

July 13, 2017 at 12:07 pm

what a delicious tour of Europe! I love all these picturesque little towns that you shared with us and hope to see them all one day.

7. Christina

July 13, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Seriously, I want to cry looking at these beautiful towns! They really are out of a fairytale and I want to be in that fairytale! These are great honeymoon ideas too. Thank you so much for sharing!!

8. Angie D. Hills

July 13, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Wow! These are lovely towns. I haven’t made it to Europe yet, but will save these for my bucket list!

9. Becca Talbot

July 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t included Budapest in this list – I was recently there and felt like I was walking around a setting for a Disney movie it’s so fairy tale! x

10. Lisa

July 13, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Beautiful pictures! I’ve been to a few of these places and they are truly magical… would love to be back and visit the ones I haven’t been yet. Beautiful post! 🙂

11. Ramona

July 13, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Each town seems like a beautiful place to visit. The photos are so beautiful.

12. Mary

July 13, 2017 at 10:07 pm

These are towns that I feel like you only see in the movies! They’re so adorable and definitely fueling my dream of visiting Europe one day. I think that going to France and Germany are now at the top of my list!

13. Terri Beavers

July 14, 2017 at 12:31 am

I sure hope I get to visit any of these towns in my lifetime. Europe is absolutely breathtaking and the towns really do look like fairy tales. I can’t imagine living in these.

14. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

July 14, 2017 at 12:49 am

These photographs are just gorgeous. I would love to take this list and visit every one!

15. Adriana Lopez

July 14, 2017 at 5:26 am

I really need to plan to go back to Europe soon, so many great places to visit,. Europe is mesmerizing. Germany have never been so that one is on top of my list same as Slovenia. But France is such a delight. Thanks for sharing love the pics too!

16. Tony

July 14, 2017 at 7:55 am

Thanks for sharing. This is stunning and all the places I missed on my Europe trip. I went close to a couple but would love to look at Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Meissen in Germany. Annecy, Colmar in France. Riomaggiore, Positano, in Italy. The photos do real justice. Now I need to map out a course to visit these places.

17. kathryn Maher

July 14, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I have so much of the world yet to see. I haven’t been to any of the wonderful towns that you have mentioned above in those various countries. However, I was happy to see you included Cong in Co Mayo in Ireland in your must see towns. I am Irish and live in Ireland and am happy to say that “Yes ” it is indeed beautiful.

18. Jenn

July 14, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Wow – these places really do look like they came straight out of a fairy tale book! Adding them all to my never-ending travel bucket list!

July 14, 2017 at 3:12 pm

All of these are amazing little towns in the world. I am going to have to bookmark this site for future places I want to visit. So awesome!!

20. Carol Cassara

July 14, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Bribury reminds me of that movie about a star, I think it’s called Stardust. Each town is beautiful and has something unique to offer. This is why my husband and I love exploring Europe! There are just so many scenic places to explore!

21. Amber Myers

July 14, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Oh my gosh, what amazing looking towns. I’d love to explore all of them. One day, I hope.

22. Ola

July 14, 2017 at 3:45 pm

The cities and Portugal and Italy sound like places I would like to visit. I love everything about Italy, and I’ve never been to Portugal, so that would be awesome.

23. Tasheena @ SimplyTasheena.com

July 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Europe is such a beautiful country to visit. I have to put these beautiful towns on my bucket list.

July 14, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Awesome.. Slovenia, Norway have been on my list recently & I’m dying to visit them.. This indeed is a fairy list for travellers:)

25. Erin Creeks

July 15, 2017 at 8:12 am

OMG all these pics were amazing but Bibury, England will be first on my list of places to travel to next. I havent seen enough of Europe but OMG its just such a beautiful country. Great post!

26. Kristine Nicole Alessandra

July 15, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Thank you for this post! I love all these places but my favorite is Bibury, England. I love the quietness, the lush green surroundings, the stone houses. What a beautiful place to live in!

27. Nana

July 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

These pictures look so great. I been wanting to go to some of these places but realistically I don’t have the money.
    I didn’t know there was so much history in these little places. Would love to go to Bled, Slovenia, Annecy, France, Colmar, France, Bibury, England and Riomaggiore, Italy

28. Javier Moss

July 15, 2017 at 9:27 pm

i haven’t visited gent before, but i will visit one day with my family!

29. margarette

July 16, 2017 at 2:02 pm

OMG! What an amazing towns! I always wanted to visit europe and seeing this now? I am dying to visit europe!

July 16, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I am so glad that you included Portugal, I might be biased ( as my heritage is Portuguese) but I think that it has some breathtaking towns. Cong is stunning as well x

31. Vishal Vashisht

July 16, 2017 at 5:39 pm

We are looking for a trip to Europe for a month in summer 2018. Your post is unique in the sense that you’ve handpicked locations from almost where we are planning to go.

32. Thomas Sanderson

July 16, 2017 at 10:36 pm

This is so interesting. I’m upset with myself and the fact that I have only been to one of the 15 places. But after reading this I’ll make it my mission to go to them all. Great post.

33. crystal ngumezi

July 16, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Thanks for the trip around Europe, looks like a great place to travel!

34. saidy

July 16, 2017 at 11:45 pm

I can’t wait to be back in Europe! this was so helpful and beautiful pictures as well.

35. Amna Tariq Shah

July 17, 2017 at 3:17 am

Very interesting post.. loved the photos !!

36. Sandy Dobbs

July 17, 2017 at 3:53 am

Oh my goodness! I have not been to Europe yet, it is SO on my bucket list. I absolutely loved this post! The photo of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany looks like the little French town from Beauty and the Beast. I want to go…..

37. Fashionaire She by J. Shan'Trice

July 17, 2017 at 4:01 am

The Assumption of Mary Church in Slovenia really grasped my attention The ideas of getting to the island with a pletna would be idealistic for me. It looks like something from a fairytale.

38. Blair villanueva

July 17, 2017 at 4:16 am

Thank you for your guide! Excited to visit France next year and explore the city and rural/provincial places 🙂 ala Belle.

39. Isabelle

July 17, 2017 at 5:05 am

Wanderlust alert! Such gorgeous places, making me dream of wanting to go off on travels there right now haha. Maybe one day I hope 🙂

40. Emmanuelle Paquet

July 18, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Oh wow! I have never been to Europe but just looking at your pictures I’d go right now. I have friends from Vienna and Italy. These are amazing cities. I should definitely put some Europe cities on my Bucket List!

41. Anabelle

July 19, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Wow I would love to visit all of these towns!! I’m trying to plan a trip to Europe next summer, I’ve only been once (a few years ago) and it’s so magical and fun to explore. Thank you for all of the ideas on where to go 🙂

42. C-Ludik

July 19, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I enjoy generally more the country side over the city but these are really lovely towns. I like your photos of Annecy & Colmar which brought back memories ! I’ve only visited Gent, Annecy and Colmar on your list. So, I still have a lot of places to discover. Slovenia is on my bucket list for a while and for sure I will stop at Lake Bled 🙂

43. Shell

July 19, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I would love to visit all these cute little towns!!

44. Jen @ My Healthy Homemade Life

July 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I’ve never been to Europe but all these gorgeous pictures make me want to hop on a plane right away!

45. Karla Pitzen

July 20, 2017 at 12:23 am

Gorgeous photos. Italy is definitely on my bucket list. I’ll have to add the Italian cities you listed to my places to visit there!

46. Leah

July 20, 2017 at 2:47 am

So many great places I would love to visit. Bled, Positano and Colmar would be at the top of my list! I actually passed through Annecy while on a tour and I was so hung over all I did was sleep the whole time so I missed seeing everything while we were there. I am so ashamed of myself.. But I was very young and silly back then!

47. Ithfifi

September 10, 2017 at 10:17 am

Wow! They all look gorgeous but I love the look of Bled, its so small and secluded, it looks incredibly peaceful!

48. Carrie | The Lavender Hytta

September 11, 2017 at 7:32 am

Omg! Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany definitely looks like it is out of a fairy tale! It looks like I don’t maybe from Beauty and Beast…. I would love to visit there! It looks so beautiful and peaceful!

September 14, 2017 at 1:42 am

I’m fascinated with the beautiful castles and got a chance to see two in Italy. But personally Bled, slovenia is on my target list to cover it up soon.