THINGS TO DO ON A LAZY WEEKEND IN AMSTERDAM

(Last Updated On: August 28, 2017)

This post contains affiliate links

There is no other city like Amsterdam, no matter what other people say. It is indeed the city of freedom where you just roam the streets, do whatever you want to do and not worry about anything.

Most travelers will agree with me that traveling is not an easy thing to do. I know you might be confused by this. But this is the thing. You see what we want you to see of our travels. We post the carefully selected images where we drink cocktails or enjoy a coffee in a beautiful café on the streets of Vienna. The thing that you do not know is that sometimes we have to travel all night just so we can wake up in a new city in the morning. Sometimes you are lucky and there is no person next to you on the train and you can lie down on the next sit but then again you can travel from Madrid to Vigo for 9 hours sitting in the middle sit and not even be able to rest your arms.

Needles to say, my enthusiasm when I visit a place and I want to explore the city on foot. I end up sightseeing for more than 18 hours, trying to see everything and not leaving enough time for relaxation. Even now my friend has blisters from our last trip to Belgrade.

So, for my lazy weekend I chose Amsterdam, because sometimes I need to relax too. For this reason I often re-visit a place. I know that I have ticked off the most important landmarks, and now I can tailor my own time and enjoy the city more.

#1 – Rent a bicycle

Cycling is the main means of transport in Amsterdam so you can take advantage of that. I often avoid using public transportation because what is the point to use the metro if you have only 2 stops in London , let`s say. That is just 10 – 15 minutes’ walk tops. You do not have to wait for the next tram and even if you get lost, it is on your terms and you can still find a good spot, something that is not on your map but still worth to see. So, do not make any plans and let the city decide for you.

Be careful! The only thing here is that cyclist are crazy in Amsterdam, but do not mind them.  I do not want to discourage you but just want to point out that you need to be careful and take precautions.

Where to find bikes? Well, the chances are that you can find bike at your hotel where you are staying. And, for some reason if they do not have bikes for rent you can find them everywhere, literally everywhere  in the city. Some are used for decoration and some are used for transportation.

#2 – Visit the Vondelpark

What other place to choose to be lazy in, but a beautiful green park. Vondelpark is one of the largest parks in Amsterdam. You can bike through the park or sit down and have a picnic, the choice is yours. This place can be very crowded during the weekends but still you can find a place to sit and rest. There are many statues and ponds in the park but what attracts the tourists here is the open theater Openluchttheater where concerts are held to.

#3 – The Red Light District

Well, we have all heard of the famous Red Light District, and even some people go straight to this attraction itself. The thing here is that you can see families with their kids strolling around like this is another normal street. And it turns out that it is, except for the “window girls”.

Somewhere in the middle of the street is the Erotic Museum and to be honest it is nothing special. There are some cheesy BDSM and erotic images and that is all.

Be careful! Do not take photos of the girls, they will for sure get mad about that. Some say that even their pimp might chase you and take your camera, but I haven`t witnessed anything like that.

#4 – Visit the Floating Flower Market

The Bloemenmarkt might be a famous attraction, some even say it is the only floating market in the world where the stalls are placed on houseboats. But, that is not the reason why I suggest you to visit this place. The main reason is to enjoy the beautiful flowers, and there are many trust me.

Be careful! If you want you can buy some tulip bulbs, but if you want to take them home check the rules and regulations first so you will not have any problems at the customs or at the border.

#5 – Check a coffeeshop or two!

I do not think that I need to explain what coffeeshop is. It is the most important thing that takes tourists to Amsterdam, after the Red Light District. This is a place where you can legally buy marijuana in small quantities, not more than 5 grams. Once you are in a coffeeshop you can ask whatever you want. The people who work there are very friendly for some reason 🙂 If it is your first time, you can ask what are their suggestions, and what effects you might expect.

#6 – Try the Local Cuisine

I am not much of a foodie myself, and I do not agree with the saying that you have to try the local cuisine everywhere you go. For instance, the typical Dutch dish is a raw herring with some pickles on the side, and onions. So, let me say this, I skipped the traditional dish and experimented with the different pastries and of course coffee.

#7 – Check out some popular landmarks and places!

The first thing that crosses my mind when it comes to Amsterdam are the canals. You do not have to look for them on the map at all, they are everywhere. There are 3 main canals Prinsengracht, Herengacht and Keizersgracht and they are placed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. You can cross the bridges and take stunningly beautiful pictures or you can view the city from canal boat tours, which is a great experience on its own.

If you want to find the best tours you can do that on TripAdvisor. They have a great deal for Hop-On Hop-Off Canal Boat Tour that we took, but you can look for other Boat Tours here.

Another thing that you do not need a map for are the stunning buildings. Amsterdam is the favorite place for the architects, but we, common people can also admire the beauty of these buildings.

My favourite place would be the Rijksmuseum where you can find the famous work of Van Gogh and Rembrandt. The building itself has a sense of historical grandeur.

You can find the famous landmark “Iamsterdam” here as well. But it is so difficult to take a good picture from the sign because it is always crowded. The only time there was no one there was one late rainy night.

Where to Stay In Amsterdam?

I always use Booking.com because they are the most reliable source where you can find the beast deals on both hostels and hotels. After all if you are on a lazy weekend you need a nice place to stay and rest, most importantly recharge your batteries for your next trip, because it might not be so relaxing.

Bonus Tip

Before you go I highly suggest you to check the weather forecast so you can know what to pack. The weather in Europe is very unpredictable so at least you can know whether you need an umbrella or not.

Lazy Weekend in Amsterdam

Another great place where you can have a relaxing and lazy holiday is Lake Bled Slovenia`s Hidden Gem or in one of the 15 Fairy Tale Towns in Europe.

1. Cynthia

July 17, 2017 at 11:52 am

Amsterdam looks lovely! But to be honest, I’ve been meaning to stop there on my way home (I travel once a year from South Africa to Costa Rica), but for some reason, I am scared of it, unlike other cities in Europe, it looks so intimidating to me! I think it’s the language barrier what scares me, I have no issues with English, Spanish, even French or Italian, and I’ve heard mixed stories about speaking/ not speaking English in the Netherlands :/

1. Chava Mazal Stark

July 18, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Hi Cynthia – my husband and I stopped in Amsterdam on our way to Morocco and we found that English was the default language used by everyone we saw and did business with. I can’t speak for the rest of the Netherlands, but Amsterdam is a fairly diverse city. I really wouldn’t expect you to have any issues with it.

2. Baia Dzagnidze

July 17, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I am planning a surprise birthday trip for my husband in Amsterdam next Spring, so this is exactly what I was looking for!

3. Hang Around The World

July 17, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I have been there last year and it was one of my favorite cities I visited. Amsterdam is so big that you aren’t able to visit everything in few days, in fact next time I have to explore the Floating Flower Market for sure 🙂

4. Casey

July 17, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Sounds like a dream! I’d love to visit sometime soon~

5. Kris

July 17, 2017 at 1:58 pm

I adore the architecture in Amsterdam! I got to see it on a 17 hour layover, so my visit was anything but relaxing though. I really want to go back and see more of this great city.

6. Sanne - Spend Life Traveling

July 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

My home country! 🙂 Amsterdam is definitely a great city for a lazy weekend and thanks to its relatively small size easy to explore on foot. I am happy you enjoyed being back in Amsterdam!

7. Kristine Eva

July 17, 2017 at 9:24 pm

I love this guide you did and I would want to go and see the attractions you mentioned. I have no idea what cuisine is like in Amsterdam, so thanks for talking about it here. I saved this post as I find it really helpful.

8. Julie Torres

July 18, 2017 at 12:20 am

Your post captured Amsterdam to be everything I have ever pictured it to be. We have not made it there yet but it is high on my list. I feel like the list never gets shorter, but oh well, here’s to a life of traveling. Looks like you had a most wonderful time!

9. Krysti

July 18, 2017 at 7:22 am

I love all of these ideas! I’m so sad I never got to Amsterdam the two times I’ve been to Europe. Next time I’m absolutely going and will be saving your post for ideas 🙂

10. danik

July 18, 2017 at 7:36 am

A lazy weekend for me in Amsterdam is buy a few beers and chill out in the Vondel Park in the summer months. I like Amsterdam but its way too touristy for me, especially now after seven visits. 😀 But the beer is good 🙂

11. Jane | Daily life talk

July 18, 2017 at 11:52 am

I liked the pictures, they are beautiful. The tips were on point and they will totally be helpful for a person planing to visit. Thank you for sharing.

12. Rose Kehinde

July 18, 2017 at 11:56 am

Another place ro put on my “must go list”! I have flown through Amsterdam but never visited. Thank you for sharing.

13. Nati

July 18, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I’ve never been to Amsterdam, despite living only two hours flight from there! All the things you mention sound really interesting!

14. Diane Hoffmaster

July 18, 2017 at 2:29 pm

I would love to visit Amsterdam! The floating flower market looks amazing…I can only imagine how beautiful it must smell!

15. Jenn

July 18, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Looks like there are tons of fun things to do in Amsterdam! I’ve always wanted to go. That flower market looks so Instagram-worthy!

16. Thomas Sanderson

July 18, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I have visited Amsterdam many times and this is one of the only posts that I’ve read that truly makes me feel like I’m back there. Your descriptions and recommendations are spot on. Really nice read, thank you.

17. Ola

July 18, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Your photos of Amsterdam are absolutely amazing! I would love to visit this place one day. But I’m sure that I’ll be skipping that museum

18. Chava Mazal Stark

July 18, 2017 at 5:12 pm

We had 24 hours in Amsterdam on a long layover on our way to Morocco. It’s such a neat city, and very picturesque. We did not go to the Red Light district nor did I want to go to a coffee shop, but even if neither of those things are your jam, the museums and shopping are well worth the trip. I loved your list!

19. Amber Myers

July 18, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I was here years ago as a kid. I remember walking through the Red Light District and not knowing why the girls were in the window. I’d love to go back as an adult though. I remember really liking Amsterdam.

20. Laima

July 18, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Amsterdam is one of the places where I’ve wanted to go for such a long time. It really is a beautiful city. Your pictures look so great it actually made me sad I can’t just get on the first plane to there. 🙁

21. Lorna Ye

July 18, 2017 at 6:48 pm

What a beautiful city! There seem to be so many fun things to do there. I hope I can visit Amsterdam someday!

July 18, 2017 at 7:04 pm

The floating flower market looks like a beautiful place to visit. I have always wanted to go to Amsterdam because it has amazing street art and a great cultured environment too x

23. Eloise

July 18, 2017 at 7:42 pm

HA! last weekend sounds awesome! your photos make me want to hop on a plane and fly to Amsterdam! I would love to spend a lazy weekend there following your guide. ; )

24. Mia Voss

July 18, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I haven’t been to Amsterdam in years so this is a flashback for me! It’s true, traveling isn’t always easy so thanks for the great suggestions on how to enjoy a lazy weekend in such a wonderful city.

25. Jen

July 19, 2017 at 1:01 am

I haven’t been here in years! I’d love to go back. Your photography is beautiful and it was a pleasure to see it through your eyes.

July 19, 2017 at 2:21 am

My husband and been to Amsterdam and fell in love with the architcture and the laid back people there. I hope one day we’re able to go back together. I’d so love to see the floating flower market and take a stroll through the red light district! x

27. Vijay

July 19, 2017 at 3:19 am

Love the picture. Good for vacation. Thanks for sharing

28. Chandresh

July 19, 2017 at 4:40 am

True , world only see 1% of what we capture in our trip .. But that’s actually the bas luck of readers na , the real moments can only be lived at the place .. So moral of story , get inspired and be on the road urself 🙂

July 19, 2017 at 6:08 am

I certainly have heard of the red light district. I found it interesting that you said that families stroll down that street like it’s nothing. That did sound interesting. It does look so beautiful there. And I would definitely have to be renting a bike.

July 19, 2017 at 10:36 am

I have heard that amsterdam is a beautiful place and thanks that you have given me a virtual tour of it. SO rightly said that sins happen where there is ample freedom! The photos are lovely

31. Sona Jain

July 19, 2017 at 10:49 am

I have heard so much about Amsterdam and your photos make me want to go there right now!

32. Andrea

July 19, 2017 at 11:52 am

I totally agree, there’s no place in the world like Amsterdam. I love to just get lost in the tiny streets of the city center and wonder around.

33. chtalha

July 19, 2017 at 2:05 pm

wow. beauty at its peak, i wish i can visit the place asap.. btw which camera are using , i am inspired by it

34. David

July 19, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I love Amsterdam, its such an amazing place! Everyone is super friendly! Amsterdam was actually the first place I had ever seen a double decker train! The food is amazing, and well the coffee shops sell good… coffee haha! Bikes were the biggest pain when I was there due to there being soo many off them everywhere! Nice read!

35. helen

July 19, 2017 at 3:58 pm

amsterdam is a beautiful city.good post

36. Candy Rachelle

July 19, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I was in Amsterdam for 24 hours a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I was there long enough to know I will be
    returning for a longer visit. Be sure to check it out! There are quite a few places I didn’t get to visit that are on your post. Thank you for the ‘suggestions’.

37. Deepa

July 19, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Beautiful pics of a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have heard a lot about Amsterdam and would love to visit it some day.

38. Agnes

July 19, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I lived five years in Amsterdam and I can agree that there is no other place like this city. The freedom is the one thing I loved most about it. Great list of things to do and wonderful pictures too!

39. Krystal // The Krystal Diaries

July 20, 2017 at 12:53 am

I would love to visit Amsterdam. It looks so nice there.

40. hal

July 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm

who doesn’t love amsterdam aye :p but i will definitely take a bike next time – i think your right in what you say – some of the landmarks I’ve seen so a bike ride to random locations might be the best option – great amsterdam post btw

41. Ana Ojha

July 20, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Whenever I see pictures of Amsterdam, it makes me feel to visit there soon. Your pictures speak for itself how amazing was your trip!

42. Devajani

July 20, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Ah your photos make me visit Amsterdam as soon as I can. You captured Amsterdam so well.Lovely read. Thanks for
    Sharing.

43. Angela Milnes

July 21, 2017 at 12:45 am

There is so much to do in Amsterdam. I went with my daughter and loved it. Your right there are lots of bikes and cyclist about.

44. Via Bella

July 21, 2017 at 2:46 am

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Good to know they are not like Portland and friendly to cyclists and peds. It can be hard to find places friendly to all travelers. I will have to keep in mind when I travel there.

45. Jennifer L

July 21, 2017 at 7:37 am

Amsterdam is such a cool place. Hoping to go next year. Your photography is just absolutely breathtaking.

46. Adrenaline Romance

July 23, 2017 at 5:22 am

We love walkable cities like Amsterdam. A far cry from ultramodern concrete-glass-steel cities that seem lifeless for us. Places like Amsterdam are very scenic, full of life, and allows people to truly sample the city’s culture. We are from the Philippines, but we hope to have an opportunity to check out Amsderdam in the future.

47. Kalyan Panja

July 23, 2017 at 6:02 am

The photos are inviting me to be there right now.

48. London Mumma

July 28, 2017 at 9:23 am

I have never been to Amsterdam before and have been thinking of going with my daughter for a weekend. Thanks for sharing you hot spot sites.

49. Jenny

July 30, 2017 at 6:31 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Amsterdam! Seems like such a beautiful city, thanks for sharing this! Looks like an amazing place 😀