One Day in Venice

(Last Updated On: August 13, 2017)

One day in Venice is not enough, Venice is a city that you really need time to explore and get lost in those narrow streets. But, if you visiting the city for a brief excursion or you have some time to kill until your next flight you have to make the most of the trip. Good thing is you can walk everywhere and you can make it a day to remember.

If you have only one day in Venice, avoid excursions or tours. Just wander the streets and take as many photos as you can.

What I find surprising about Venice is that there are mixed opinions about it. Some think that it is an amazing city, there is none like it in the world, and others simply do not like it and find things that annoyed them.  Do not listen to anyone and go explore the city in your own terms.

This is the first photo that I found on Pinterest that made me fall in love with Venice. I found the exact place by chance just when we were about to catch the train.

Still there are some things that you should not miss, besides the wandering and exploring the city. You do not have to follow them blindly but use them as a guide, just to have a rough idea of what the city has to offer.

Morning Venice Free Walking Tours

I know I said that you should avoid the tours at the beginning but this is different. Find a tour and discover every corner of the city with a local guide. Just check TripAdvisor to find the meeting point.

These guides might avoid some touristy places and instead they will take through a time travel of Venetian history and culture. This way you will learn and experience the heart of the city. And after the tour is over you can visit the landmarks on your own.

Venetian Shops and Markets

Another thing you do not need a map for are the shops, they are everywhere. You do not have to buy anything but it is a wonderful experience to just take a pick at the handmade masks that they are very proud of. It would be ideal to visit Venice during the carnival.

Realto Bridge, St. Mark`s Square and Doge`s Palace

These places are probably the most famous landmarks of Venice. They are just 8 minutes apart and you have to visit them. At the square you will find the the Doge`s Palace , the Basillica di San Marco and the Torre dell`Orologio.

Have a Spritz or several!

After all the walking you need a break, and I cannot think a better way than to find a café with a beautiful view and have a Spritz. I usually avoid the local cuisine, but I would not avoid a local drink. I read somewhere that you have to try Spritz in Venice. I have tried it before but it is different in Venice, maybe because of the atmosphere.

Ride on a Gondola

Riding a gondola is a unique experience indeed. They can be rally pricey but if you can afford it than you should, because you see Venice from a different perspective. But do not be fooled that they are romantic, because they are not at all.

Panoramic View of Venice

There is a new store in Venice that collaborates with many brands. The store is a part of DFS luxury retail group and it is called T Fondaco dei Tedeschi. The best part here is that there is an extraordinary view on the top floor. If you know your dates when you will be in Venice then you should pre-book your spot. Or you can go to the top of the Campanille, no worries there is an elevator for a perfect bird`s eye view. This is the tallest building in Venice so you will easily find it.

Explore the city at night

Venice is amazing, crowded, sunny during the day but it is breath taking during the night. Most of the tourists leave the city when the night approaches. So, it becomes a different city, quiet and you can actually hear someone speaking in Italian.

Get Lost!!!

My favourite thing is getting lost in a city. The best cities are those that do not have a destination but are a whole journey. Venice is that kind of city. You have to see everything, and everything you see is beautiful and you have to explore the city on foot! Savor every moment and enjoy!

More than one day in Venice

In case you want to stay more than one day in Venice then you should explore the Murano island, Burano island or the island of Torcello. If you want to spend a day on the beach you can walk on the sands of the Lido.  You can find the best tours here on TripAdvisor.

If you are looking a place to stay you can find the best deals on Booking.com. I always use this website whenever I need a place to stay. The reviews are real and you can see what other travelers think of a place and how they stay was.

One day in Venice is not enough, but it is doable. Try not to squeeze everything in. If you end up rushing from one place to another you will miss so much.

Related articles: 15 Fairy Tale Towns in Europe

One Day in Venice

1. Ania Travels

July 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed Venice. It really is a unique and beautiful city. I’m not a fan of spritz though, I totally avoid those when in Italy lol.

2. Nichole

July 24, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I’ve never been to Venice, but would love to go someday. Thank you for sharing so much, and the beautiful photos!

3. Heather Johnson

July 24, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I have never been to Venice, but the history looks amazing! I would love to get there someday before the ocean takes over!

4. Nichole

July 24, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Not sure my first comment came thru. I would love to visit Venice someday. Thank you fir sharing the beautiful photos!

5. Abigail Caplen

July 24, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I struggle with travelling due to my anxiety so it’s nice for me to still be able to see places like Venice through someone else’s eyes. Thank you 🙂

6. Fiona Mai

July 24, 2017 at 9:59 pm

I love your colorful photos of Venice! I’ve been to Rome but not yet to Venice, which is why I desperately want to come back to Italy soon. Walking around Venice at night seems like a unique experience that I must try once I’ve been there.

7. Ana De-Jesus

July 24, 2017 at 11:04 pm

I love that the free walking tours go beyond the usual tourist attractions. I have never been to Venice but I am going to Tuscany soon, maybe I can make a trip to Venice while I am out there? x

8. Audrey

July 25, 2017 at 12:16 am

I just was in venice last month for the first time and loved it! I rode a gondola too because it’s something I feel like everyone MUST do but if I were to go again I wouldn’t do it just because it is so pricey. Wondering the canals were so picturesque and so beautiful too! Great pictures!

9. michenn

July 25, 2017 at 2:14 am

I really want to go there! Although hopefully I’ll go for at least 2 weeks but these tips are great and I’m definitely bookmarking them!

10. Kim

July 25, 2017 at 5:33 am

I’ve never had much desire to visit and explore Europe but Venice is one place that is the exception to the rule. I would love to visit and your photos have got me suffering from some serious wanderlust as I sit in my office with a growing to do list!

11. Cynthia

July 25, 2017 at 6:28 am

Walking tours are a great option! They often take you to the not so touristy places so it’s good opportunity to see the city as a local. Venice is so picturesque! Lovely photos 🙂

12. Adriana Lopez

July 25, 2017 at 6:41 am

Dream place, I love Italy we traveled there last year but did not make it to Venice still on my bucket list =)

13. Charmaine

July 25, 2017 at 7:46 am

Venice is really amazing! I’ve seen a lot of pictures about it and wish I could really visit it one day. Nice shot!

14. Rhian Westbury

July 25, 2017 at 8:50 am

I am going to Venice in November for about four days before we get a train to Rome and I am so excited, even more so after reading your post x

15. Michelle

July 25, 2017 at 9:15 am

I love your photos! They really make me feel like I am walking the streets of Venice myself.

16. Ryan

July 25, 2017 at 11:40 am

This looks amazing. I have always wanted to visit!

17. Liz

July 25, 2017 at 2:16 pm

These are beautiful pictures! I would love to visit one day, Venice is top on my list! Thanks for sharing.

18. Whitney aka Mrs. Millennial

July 25, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Wow, this is so gorgeous. I’ve been to Venice twice but my last trip was over 10 years ago now…so I think it might be time to go back. Thanks for sharing your tips!

19. Eloise

July 25, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Oh MAN! I really want to go to Venice now (even more than before!) it looks so beautiful and rich there (rich meaning culture and colors) I love your photos by the way ; )

20. Sharon Chanyau

July 25, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I have never been to Venice but i am totally drawn to it now. Thanks for information

21. Tami Qualls

July 25, 2017 at 9:44 pm

There is no way I’d be able to see all of Venice in one day, either. I’ve never been so I can see myself taking extra time to soak it all up.

22. Chelf

July 25, 2017 at 10:07 pm

A few years ago I visited venice and had only one day, soI did exctly that I avoided excursions or tours. I just wandered the streets and had lunch and wine and it was fantastic! Aw that brought back so many memories…

23. Amber Myers

July 25, 2017 at 11:20 pm

These photos are spectacular. I’ve always wanted to go to Venice. I know I’d love it.

24. Yeu Doi

July 26, 2017 at 1:20 am

Loved Venice. Your beautiful photos remind me of the great times there. Hope to go back soon.

25. Christie Brown

July 26, 2017 at 1:53 am

Venice has been on the top of my travel wish list for pretty much my entire life! Argg! Your photos are gorgeous. I would love nothing more than to just get lost in Venice for a day. Sigh.

Christie’s Take on Life. xx

26. Stefanie

July 26, 2017 at 8:02 am

I love venice so much! I´ve been there last year and i hope that i can go back soon!

27. Blair villanueva

July 26, 2017 at 10:33 am

I am literally in-love with your Venice story and these photographs. I will definitely going to visit this city soon with Amore.

28. C-Ludik

July 26, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Lovely photos, brought back memories ! Venice is really a unique and beautiful city. For me, the best way to experience Venice is to pick a direction and wander. Getting “lost” allows you to stumble upon the city’s many secrets.

29. Made Adayasa

July 26, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Ohhh Venice ! I am always there almost every week when I was a seamen . Don’t have much time to explore all the area but love this city much . Your pictures are stuning and bring back my 10 years memories.

30. Kevin

July 27, 2017 at 4:45 pm

I have never been to Venice, but the history looks awesome!!!

31. yukti

July 27, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Venice is always so romantic and one day in Venice is forever in our memories. Your pictures are stunning and well detailed description.

32. Mae

July 28, 2017 at 1:25 am

What a romantic city! The closest I’ve been to here is at The Venetian in Vegas! LOL! But this is definitely on my bucket list. Great post!

Mae | http://www.thegospelofbeauty.org

33. Michael

July 28, 2017 at 5:32 am

I’ve been to Italy, but never Venice. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. There is so much history there, and of course those famous canals are incredible!

34. Via Bella

July 28, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Girlie, this city doesn’t even seem real to me. It seems like out of a movie. Adding this to my go to places now!
    Thanks!
    ~http://viabella-thebeautifullife.blogspot.com

35. Teresa

July 29, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Fantastic photos! You really managed to pack a lot into one day in one of the most spectacular cities in the world 🙂

36. Sara Broers

July 29, 2017 at 10:43 pm

I have not been to Venice, thanks for introducing me. I love your idea of getting lost in a city, as you are sure to find things you did not plan on seeing. This looks incredible, your photos are amazing!

37. Adrenaline Romance

July 30, 2017 at 12:23 am

The canals of Venice are iconic. 🙂 A mainstay in Indiana Jones The Last Crusade and James Bond’s Casino Royale. We would love to cruise the canals with a gondola. We hope we can get a chance to visit here; it’s a bit hard for us because we’re from the Philippines.

38. Christin

July 30, 2017 at 3:39 am

As someone who only got to spend one day in Venice as well, I loved your post! Your pictures are amazing and you hit a lot of great spots and tips I did not know about, such as that view point!!! I am so sad I missed out on that. We agree that Venice should be visited no matter what positive or negative things you hear from others. We loved Venice and hope to go back one day, maybe for the masked festival!

39. Sandy N Vyjay

July 30, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Visiting Venice and riding on a Gondola had been a romantic dream for us and we realized it a couple of years ago. We loved Venice though the Gondola ride was not as romantic as our imagination had conjured up. Your pictures are stunning and look like paintings.

40. jitaditya

July 31, 2017 at 2:47 pm

One day surely is not enough in Venice. But some great frames in this post so I believe you have made the most of your limited time.

41. Ana Ojha

August 1, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Venice is a dream destination! All your pictures speak for itself how much fun you had!