Things you Must See When you Visit London

(Last Updated On: September 11, 2017)

This post contains affiliate links

London is a city that needs no introduction. This place is so fond to me and today I thought to share with yous things you must see when you visit London.

The actual list is very long because this is one of the most diverse cities in the world, but I will try to make it short and include some of the top rated attractions here.

BUCKINGHAM PALACE

The first on my list is the Buckingham Palace not because it is the residence of the reigning monarch but because it is a place you should not miss. The changing of the guards is something that you should witness here and it is a thing that cannot be seen anywhere else. You can check the times here. Another important thing when it comes to Buckingham Palace is that you can go inside and explore some parts of the palace. The Palace is open during the summer. You can check the prices and the opening hours here

BIG BEN AND HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT

Big Ben is the most iconic landmark of London. Big Ben is actually the name of one of the bells in Elizabeth Tower which is the actual landmark. Try to see the place during the night as well, because when it is illuminated it looks spectacular.

WESTMINSTER ABBEY

Westminster Abbey is a church that is situated in the heart of London next to Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. This is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because it is a living record of the British history. If you want to visit you can find the opening hours and fees here.

TOWER BRIDGE

Tower Bridge is a monument on its own, it crosses the River Thames and it is close to the Tower of London. You can also go inside the bridge where you will see a short documentary about the history of Tower Bridge.

TOWER OF LONDON

Tower of London is my top attraction and if you are planning to visit it plan well before you go. We went really late before the closing time and did not have enough time to explore it. The place is colossal and you will probably need at least 2 or 3 hours. Check the opening hours here.

COVENT GARDEN

Covent Garden is a place with an atmosphere that will charm you on your first visit. This is actually a district in London that is popular for its street performers. I have had an awesome time every time I was there and even once I was a part of a performance where I had to through knives at a person, simple as that. There are also bars, shops and perfumeries.

THE GHERKIN

The Gherkin is a landmark that you cannot miss. It is a modern eye catching building that is close to Tower of London. This is an office building so this means that you cannot go inside, but I do not think you are missing anything.

CAMDEN MARKET

Camden Market is an open air market where you can find the most exciting street art and the best music venues. Everything you want to buy you will find in Camden Market, whether it is vintage or new. Just make sure to spend a day here, because it takes time to visit everything that the place has to offer. Learn how to get to Camden and what you can do there here

NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

The Natural History museum is one of the best museums in the world where you can see specimens from different segments of natural history. This is a great place to explore in case it is raining outside as well. The entrance to the Natural History Museum is free but there might be some temporary exhibitions that require admission. This is the official site where you can find the opening hours and admission.

TATE MODERN

Tate Modern is a national gallery where you can see some great modern art exhibitions and installations. The entrance is free and there are also free walking tours inside the gallery.

TRAFALGAR SQUARE

Trafalgar Square is a public space in London that is very popular with the tourists. Many special events are held on this square but even if there is none while you are visiting you can still admire its beautiful fountains and architecture. Trafalgar Square is surrounded by historic buildings, museums and galleries.

SAINT PAUL`S CATHEDRAL

Saint Paul`s Cathedral is a massive architectural masterpiece of Sir Christopher Wren. This is the actual seat of the Bishop of London. If you plan to visit the cathedral you will need at least 2 hours and here you can find the opening hours and the admission fees.

HYDE PARK AND THE SPEAKERS` CORNER

What amazes me the most about London is that it has huge parks that are beautiful and green during the summer, this is probably thanks to so much rainfall. Hyde Park is in the center of London where you can find lots of quiet places to relax. In the north west part of the park is the famous Speakers` Corner where people can freely say whatever is on their mind.

BRITISH MUSEUM

British Museum is located in the Bloomsbury area and it is a museum that is all about art and culture. Here you can witness the human cultures from its beginning to the present and you can see artworks from every continent.

You can find the opening hours here on their official website.

PICCADILLY CIRCUS

Some people compare Piccadilly Circus to Times Square in New York maybe because it is one of the most energetic areas in London. Piccadilly Circus is the perfect place to start your sightseeing tour in the morning. A great thing you can do is to end your tour here as well because you have to experience the place at night as well.

LONDON EYE

The London Eye is one of the most popular tourist attraction in London. The wheel is placed on the South Bank and you can find the ticket prices here. The view from the top is spectacular even though this attraction can be a bit pricey but you can check the 2 for 1 offers here.

This is the ultimate list of London attractions according to the market research and trends but that does not mean that you have to run from one place to another just to check out the important places. You can explore London at your pace and make your own list of top attractions. These are only some suggestion you can use as guidance.

If you are looking for a place to stay in London you can find the best deals on Booking.com.

London has so many things to offer, but if you are staying longer then you should explore more. There are great day trips you can make from London that can be reached in less than 2 hours. You can check my article The Best Day Trips From London and see what other place you want to visit.

Related articles: 10 Cheapest Cities in Europe you Must Visit

15 Fairy Tale Towns in Europe

Let me know what you think and would you add some other attraction to the list?

Things to see when you visit London

1. Monica

July 27, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I love London! Looking at this post I realize how much I’ve missed it. We must put it on the agenda for the spring trip. Thanks so much for the reminder.

2. Crystal

July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I went to London as a teenager, but that was a long, long time ago. You’re reminding me of all the happy memories and motivating me to get back.

3. Karen

July 27, 2017 at 11:40 pm

My daughter wants to live in London when she graduates college. And she’s never been — she’s just infatuated with it. As I read your post, she was looking over my shoulder saying, “See — so many cool things in London.” Camden Market would be my first stop, I think.

4. Jojo Hua

July 31, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I actually live in central London and I usually take all of these places for granted. I know that a lot of tourists come to visit Westminster Abbey and are fascinated by it, but I see it all the time and I have never even been inside! I think tourists are more fascinated by the city of London than the people who live here. I should be a tourist in my city more often!

5. Amalia

July 31, 2017 at 1:55 pm

All the essentials in one blog post, well done! I must put this list to practice next time I’m visiting London, thanks for sharing!!

6. Sami

July 31, 2017 at 2:52 pm

You’ve just listed me dream vacation! I want to take my daughter to London when she’s older and you can be sure that we’re hitting up all of these sites. Excellent!

7. Olivia Stacey

July 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I’ve never been to London, but it is at the top of my travel list! Thanks for sharing these travel tips and your experiences. I’ve always wanted to visit Buckingham Palace and the London Eye– LOVED seeing your photos.
    xoxo,
    Liv

8. five little doves

July 31, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I completely agree, we LOVE London! We are in the north so we don’t visit often but when we do we want to see all of the sights, there is SO much to do!

9. Amanda

July 31, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I have never been to London but when I do make it there I will be sure to follow your guide on what to see! There are some places on this list that I have never even heard of, but they look amazing! Thanks for sharing, love this post!

10. Katie

July 31, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Never been to England but definitely on my bucket list! Thanks for these awesome tips – will have to keep in mind for future travel plans.

11. Alice

July 31, 2017 at 4:22 pm

I’ve been to London twice, but never done any tourist things! I’ll keep this list in mind next time

Alice | Dainty Alice

12. Maggie Redfern-Pucci

July 31, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Those are some great destinations! I didn’t know about the Gherkin so I would say that would be a fore sure must!

13. Kintan

July 31, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Fantastic tips and pictures dear. London is still on my wishlist. Its really an amazing city. I really enjoyed your pictures.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Kintan XO,

14. Tania Potter - Soul Sense Coaching

July 31, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I have never been to London and would love to see ever single one of the places you have shown. Your photos are stunning as well.

15. Zana

July 31, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Okay, now I want to visit London so badly!!! This city is on my wishlist for a long time and I hope to make it true, if not later this year then the next one definitely. You really wrote this post perfectly. 🙂

16. Rose

July 31, 2017 at 7:34 pm

London is on my list of places to visit. I hope when I go I have plenty of time to visit what is on your list.

17. Cassie

July 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Whilst I managed to do most on this list there are still places I haven’t seen in my 3 visits to london so they will go on the list to visit next time!

18. Alaina Bullock

August 1, 2017 at 1:48 am

London is number one on me and my husband’s bucket list! There is so many things I’d love to see there! Your list added a lot more, too!

19. Kathy Marris

August 1, 2017 at 3:19 am

I must agree with all of these must sees in London. There are a few on this list that I haven’t seen too. I would add Kensington Palace. I really enjoyed my visit here.

20. Kanishka Acharya

August 1, 2017 at 4:14 am

Wow these are some breath taking picturesque places! Thanks for the list really needed one!

21. chandr

August 1, 2017 at 4:42 am

Good Old and classic … Reminds me of the Adventure of Sherlock !! Surely on my bucket list

22. Cynthia

August 1, 2017 at 5:43 am

I have a major crush on London 😂 I visit the city during a layover and only had time to see the tower and the British Museum, omg, that place is unbelievable! It gives me chills to remember, I was taken aback with the ancient stuff they have there. Very exciting!

23. Kim

August 1, 2017 at 5:51 am

This has really made me miss London and all the history and things to see. I love St Pauls, I always think it’s amazing that throughout the blitz in WWII it was never touched, everything around it was destroyed but somehow nothing ever happened to the cathedral.

24. adriana

August 1, 2017 at 6:33 am

Oh my goodness lookalike you had a blast. United Kingdom is one of those countries that I want to visit. Have been to Europe last year but we did not stop in London or the UK. Lovely tips and ideas thanks for sharing.

25. Ania Travels

August 1, 2017 at 7:10 am

London is such an amazing city, and there is so much to do. I went there for the first time couple months ago and am itching to go back already. Your lsit is spot on.

August 1, 2017 at 8:13 am

London is a beautiful city and once again I got a glimpse of it. Personally I love the London tower bridge and the walk through River Thames. It is such a good sight at different phases of the day and specially during the New years eve.

27. Pooja Sharma

August 1, 2017 at 8:52 am

I have been planning to visit London for such a long time and trust me, gathering all the info I need for tourist attractions and now I have them, thanks to you

28. Rhian Westbury

August 1, 2017 at 9:11 am

I only live about 20 minutes from London but there’s still a fair amount that I haven’t done so I definitely need to change this x

29. Blair villanueva

August 1, 2017 at 9:13 am

London is another great city that i wish to visit. I know there are many things happened recently, which includes bombing if London, but it is still in my list. I just hope everything will be back to normal again.

30. C-Ludik

August 1, 2017 at 9:45 am

Lovely photos, brought back memories ! Its really an amazing city. I really enjoyed your pictures. I’ve visited London few years ago and looking at this post I realize how much places I’ve missed. I’ll keep this list in mind next time

31. Jeenu Pillai

August 1, 2017 at 9:52 am

The crown jewel London, One day I will definitely visit and now I know where all should I go. Thank you so much for sharing this.

August 1, 2017 at 11:15 am

I would most definitely recommend the natural history museum and the British museum. Especially as they are free and fascinating experiences x

33. Michelle

August 1, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I would love to go to London and see all these places you mentioned. This post will be bookmarked for when I finally go!

34. Charmaine

August 1, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Wow! This is really spectacular and definitely, agree on that note. London is such an amazing place and heard of it a lot of times. So much things are really interesting here.

35. Natasha

August 1, 2017 at 3:15 pm

The photos are so dreamy! The bridge is gorgeous and reminds me of the little childhood song :)! We definitely want to visit London at some point, can’t wait!

36. Amrita Sen

August 1, 2017 at 3:26 pm

A perfect and precise guide to London. The photos are also so beautiful. 🙂

37. Dreammerin

August 1, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I love London! Thanks for sharing a lot of great inspirations with us! Keeping us updated and sharing very helpful stuff!
    Wish you nice rest of the week!

38. Krystal // The Krystal Diaries

August 1, 2017 at 11:50 pm

I’d really like to see London one day and see all these spots! London just looks so perfect.

39. Jill Conyers

August 2, 2017 at 1:24 am

This is awesome. We’re planning a trip to London next year. Thanks!

40. Deanna

August 2, 2017 at 1:52 am

I would love to see London and all its history! Your photos are fantastic!!!

41. Eloise

August 2, 2017 at 2:34 am

Those photos are amazing and it give me the travel bug to want to go visit London… I would LOVE to check out each and every spot you mentioned ; )

42. k

August 2, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Great post , most of those places were on my list. But I will make sure to add the other. Thanks for sharing.

43. Jo Jo

August 2, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I visited London a few years ago, and I hate that I didn’t get a chance to see all the things you’ve suggested like the Camden Market, and the Gherkin. I guess maybe next time. Thanks for sharing. I’ve liked on Stumble 🙂

August 3, 2017 at 11:52 am

Camden market is great although they knocked down a lot of the original markets which is such a shame! Still worth a visit, East London is a great place to visit too!

August 2, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I think I did all of these when I was out in London for a month except maybe the Gherkin. I did really love my time there and they had so many amazing different places. I’m just a history nerd so anything historical makes me smile.

45. Debbie-jean Lemonte

August 2, 2017 at 4:26 pm

You just shortened my London itinerary for me. Haha. Thanks for the tips.

46. danasia fantastic

August 2, 2017 at 8:49 pm

This blog post comes at the perfect time because I’m debating on whether or not to go to London or Barcelona for my birthday in December! I’m definitely leaning more towards London!

47. Via Bella

August 2, 2017 at 10:20 pm

I REALLY have wanted to visit London since I was a teenager, maybe earlier even. So I will have to keep this list for when I go. Thank you!
    ~ http://viabella-thebeautifullife.blogspot.com/

48. Besties Notepad

August 3, 2017 at 2:05 am

I have been to London once and will definitely want to visit again.
    How about Madame Tussads, the wax museum? I liked that too!

49. Ana Ojha

August 3, 2017 at 4:07 am

What a comprehensive guide of things to see in London! London is a dream destination that knows very well how to entice its travelers!

50. Brian

August 3, 2017 at 12:07 pm

When I think of London, I think of The Clash. Have you been to the Brixton Market?

51. Laura H

August 4, 2017 at 4:34 am

Yay I’ve been to all of these!! I am.a Londoner though haha

52. Paula - Gone with the Wine

August 4, 2017 at 4:33 pm

I love London! This was a good list of things everyone should see there, and they never get old. There is much to see and do in London that one needs a lot of time for a visit. I hope I get to go there soon again.

53. Danijela WorldGlimpses

August 5, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Love your photos. And every time I see the Tower Bridge I can’t help but think how fairy tale like it seems. That’s probably my favorite photo here. 🙂

54. Carmen Baguio

August 6, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I’ve only been to London once, and was only there a couple of days. I would love to go back and spend more them in some of the historical landmarks like the Tower of London.

55. Alberto C

August 6, 2017 at 1:20 pm

That’s a great list! It definitely covers the main highlights for a first time visitor. If you have time next time, head to Regent’s Park, I was there for the first time recently after more than 10 visits to London and I loved the gardens!

56. Wanderlust Vegans

August 6, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Also at night Buckingham Palace is all lite up with different colours. It is something to see as well. You have made my heart long for London. It is one of my favourite cities. We have done all of these things, more than once. As when friends would visit we would have to go through the list again. 😛 I wouldn’t hesitate to go back again though!

57. Bruce Schinkel

August 6, 2017 at 9:28 pm

What a great overview of London! I must bring this post with me when I visit next to ensure I don’t miss anything … especially Camden Market 🙂

58. Aditi

August 26, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I’m going to London in December and this post is going to be very useful in helping me make a list of things I want to do there. Thanks for sharing! 🙂