What to See in Nuremberg

(Last Updated On: August 13, 2017)

This post contains affiliate links

The first city that I have visited in Germany was Nuremberg. For some reason I was always avoiding this country even though it has so much to offer. And since my visit it is on top of my list. So, let`s find out what to see in Nuremberg and what you can do while you are visiting.

The city is magical and it is situated in the Bavarian region which is the land of fairytale castles. You can easily go to Rothenburg ob der Tauber and to Neuschwanstein Castle from Nuremberg.

The city has a complex history. If you are a history buff then this is where you can relive some moments from the past, since this is where the Nazi rallies were held.

THINGS TO SEE IN NUREMBERG OLD TOWN

Once you arrive to Nuremberg most of the time you would like to be in the Old Town because all the main sites are located here. The gate to the Old Town is located opposite the Train Station. Just next to the entrance is a small walk to Frauentorturm, a nice spot to start your sightseeing. Inside you can see small cafes and shops.

NUREMBERG FOOD AND BEER

We arrived in Nuremberg in the afternoon so we were quite hungry. The first thing that was in my mind was to find a good place to eat. I am not a foodie myself and I am addicted to MacDonald`s food so this time I thought to give the local cuisine a try. The local dish is the Franconian Schauferle which is actually a pork shoulder and it is too much for one person to eat, so consider sharing it with someone. Another great local dish is the Nurnberg bratwurst and it goes perfect with some local beer.

Heilig-Geist-Spital or Hospital of the Holy Spirit

I really liked the Heilig-Geist-Spital. This place is not only attractive because of its beautiful architecture but it is also important because it is one of the oldest private medicine practices. This was one of the largest hospitals for the elderly in the Middle Ages.

Frauenkirche, St. Lorenz church and St. Sebaldus church

For such a small town, Nuremberg has some of the most beautiful churches. Frauenkirche also known as the Church of Our Lady is on the eastern side of the main market. St. Lorenz church is one of the main attractions in the city and inside can be found some of the most important works of art.

Open Air Market

Nuremberg is also famous for its open air markets the whole year around. But, during Christmas time Nuremberg is the home of one of the most beautiful fairytale Christmas Markets. Next time I am going to Nuremberg it will be around this holiday for sure.

Nuremberg Castle

At the tallest part of Nuremberg sits the Imperial Castle. The castle is one of the most important imperial palaces from the Middle Ages and since 2013 we are able to visit some of the historical rooms. What I was surprised to find out is that there is a Youth Hostel at the Imperial castle which means you can stay in and for a bit feel like royalty. You can check the prices and the opening hours here

A Stroll in Weißgerbergasse

One of the prettiest streets in Nuremberg is Weißgerbergasse which is close to the castle. The houses are colorful and look cheerful so once you are there you would really appreciate the fact if you take a stroll here. Just wander the streets and take lots of photos.

Meet Albrecht Durer

Nuremberg is the home of Albrecht Durer, a forward thinking painter, widely known to be among the first artists who painted self-portraits and for his Apocalypse series from 1498. Even though the city was destroyed during the World War II, Albrecht Durer `s house remained undamaged. If you have time visit his house and see some of his most famous paintings and learn some facts.

Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds

If you want to learn more about the German past head to the Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds and see special exhibitions about all the mass events of the Nazi. This is a museum that is placed in the Congress Hall. The building resembles the Colosseum and it remains unfinished.

If you want to visit the museum you can find all the information here

There are many small villages on the Romantic Road in Germany and I know the hustle to try to visit them all, especially if you are pressed with time. I had 3 days in Nuremberg and I think it was not enough.

Find accommodation in Nuremberg: Check TripAdvisor and Booking.com where you can find the best deals and read honest reviews from travelers.

Tip!!! If you are traveling on budget or if you want to be smart traveler I suggest you get the Nurnberg Card. You can use the card to enter all museums and attractions and you can travel for free on all public transport not only in Nuremberg but also in Furth and Stein too.

What to see in Nuremberg

1. Sarah

August 28, 2017 at 7:49 am

This really makes me miss Germany! I haven’t visited in years, but this certainly renewed my wanderlust!

2. Jasmin N

August 28, 2017 at 8:31 am

What a gorgeous looking place! Sounds like it has a beautiful story behind it 🙂 would be great to visit one day!

3. Jenni

August 28, 2017 at 9:37 am

It’s looks lovely. Germany is somewhere I never think of for a holiday but I’ve recently looked into it and it just looks stunning! We have booked for Hamburg in November x

4. Mardene Carr

August 28, 2017 at 12:55 pm

What awesomeness! I love this post. I have never been there so thanks for taking me there virtually.

5. Neely Moldovan

August 28, 2017 at 2:29 pm

What a beautiful quaint town. So much to do and see. I have never been but I would love to!

6. Tiffany

August 28, 2017 at 4:02 pm

It looks amazing! Such a beautiful place, would love to visit x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

7. Andra Ce

August 28, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Such a lovely city!! I want to go there now lol ! Also great pictures xx

8. Georgia

August 28, 2017 at 5:52 pm

wow beautiful. those sausages looks like scrumptious could happily eat a few.
    Nice post

9. Liz Mays

August 28, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Oh wow, visiting Nuremberg would be so nice! I’d definitely want to spend some time exploring Old Town.

10. Fashion and Style Police

August 28, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Nuremberg sounds like a great place to visit. I love the sound of the city. I have been to Dusseldorf some years ago. I would love to see this city.

11. Heather Johnson

August 28, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I would love to visit the Imperial Castle. I love exploring historical places with my family!

12. Sarah

August 28, 2017 at 10:06 pm

this is an absolutely beautiful city, I hope to be able to visit some day!

13. Emily Erson

August 28, 2017 at 10:50 pm

I couldn’t get past how awesome the pictures look. It reminded me of something straight out of a story book.

August 29, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Right? And anything that reminds me of a fairytale is a must see in my eyes. Who wouldn’t love visiting locations that look like they have been plucked straight out of a book? x

August 29, 2017 at 12:06 am

I am so in awe of the architecture in Nuremberg! I really like the sound of the Heilig-Geist-Spital and that it traces back to the middle ages! x

15. Carrie

August 29, 2017 at 8:31 am

Looks like a beautiful place… I have never been to Nuremberg before. Although Ive been to several other cities in Germany! Maybe one day I will be able to travel here and see that castle!

16. Kate Sinclair

August 29, 2017 at 9:05 am

I have never thought about Germany as a destination but Nuremburg looks great. I might have to have a rethink of Germany!!

17. Nadia

August 29, 2017 at 9:27 am

I’ve never been but it looks really pretty. My mum’s a German teacher so we have been to the country many times.

18. Familyearthtrek

August 29, 2017 at 11:24 am

Like you, I am not very drawn to Germany even though we live close by. But Nuremberg does seems like a cosy city to explore! And look at that pig shoulder!

19. Mayuri

August 29, 2017 at 12:40 pm

This is indeed a land of the fairy tale. I am pinning this post so that I can refer to it when I visit Germany next year… 🙂

20. the Curious Pixie

August 29, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Such a pretty place, it’s never really been on my radar. Certainly will be looking into it now.

21. Simply Apostolia

August 29, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I’m planning to visit Nuremberg in the Spring. It’s one of the most “fairytale-like” towns in the whole world. Your post made me be even more excited for my upcoming trip! I can’t wait to go there!

22. Karyn Locke

August 29, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Such an iconic spot in Germany to visit. It’s on my travel bucket list for sure!

23. Jacqueline

August 29, 2017 at 4:48 pm

I love Germany! My family lived in Stuttgart when I was a small child and I have visited Berlin several times. I’ve never had a desire to visit Nuremberg because of it’s oppressing history. But it appears there is more to see than the Nazi history that its known for!

24. Alicia Trautwein

August 29, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Germany! Such gorgeous architecture and rich culture! Those bratwurst look so yummy!!

25. Tanya

August 29, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I want to go there at Christmastime. It looks like a fairy tale kind of place!

26. Aditya

August 29, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I always thought where should roam in germany? Your blog genuinely helped me. Bookmarked it even. You thought of everything. Thank you.

27. Michelle Langi

August 29, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Beautiful city and the sausages look so.delicious!

28. Janella Panchamsingh

August 29, 2017 at 5:53 pm

looks like a beautiful place to visit. the scenery is really gorgeous and the food looked really tasty too

29. Claire Ray

August 29, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Germany is a place I really want to visit! This place looks stunning and so colourful as well! X

30. Becca

August 29, 2017 at 6:02 pm

This looks amazing! It’s not somewhere I’ve ever wanted to go but it’s firmly on my list now!

31. Sabine

August 29, 2017 at 6:14 pm

What a beautiful place Nuremberg is! I’ve put it on my wishlist to visit!

32. Jessica Hughes

August 29, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Oh, the Bavarian region of Germany is so very beautiful and I really hope to see it in person some day. Nuremberg has so many gorgeous buildings that I would be wondering around for days just staring at all of them!

33. Sondra Barker

August 29, 2017 at 7:04 pm

The pork shoulder and bratwurst looks delicious! The architecture and older feel of the city was captured beautifully by your pictures

34. John Milnes

August 29, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I can already see myself doing some photography here. I was born in Germany, but I have not been back since i was born there. This may be the ideal to place to visit first. 😉
    Thanks for Sharing
    John M

35. Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

August 29, 2017 at 8:31 pm

So many beautiful buildings to admire and enjoy! I’d love to visit here as I love history.

36. Mel

August 29, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Nuremberg looks like a fabulous place to visit – so much to see and do!

37. Lily

August 29, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Germany is one of my most favourite places! I’ve been saying to a friend we should go visit sometime. This is pretty much the same kind of style town I lived in with my exchange partner. It was the most beautiful, historic, poetic and romantic towns I’ve ever seen. But it also had a lot of modern twists which was amazing. You’ve got me all excited for future trips to Germany now!

38. Jill Conyers

August 29, 2017 at 8:54 pm

We’re planning a trip to Germany so I loved reading this. There’s so much I want to see and do while we’re there.

39. Tami

August 29, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Oh, Nuremberg was never on my travel bucket list. I think it would be the perfect spot for hubby and I to escape for a little alone time. We are in great need of some!

40. Jacinta Zechariah

August 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Nuremberg looks like a great place to visit. I LOVE that street and all those quaint churches.

41. Samantha

August 29, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I think Germany is a country full of beautiful cities, I’ve been to Berlin and it was great. Next on my list will be Nuremberg after reading this post!

42. Rose

August 29, 2017 at 10:28 pm

It looks beautiful. I would love to go and see the building and castles would be a bonus. I’m not much of a beer drinker but could appreciate all the food.

43. Jen Temcio

August 29, 2017 at 10:28 pm

My husband went there and tried to tell me about it, but with your photos and writing I have a much better idea of what it is like. I hope I can get there someday soon.

August 30, 2017 at 12:55 am

This looks such a little peaceful town. The photos are beautiful, guess it would have been an amazing day for yourself.

45. Rosey

August 30, 2017 at 1:07 am

I love to see and read about new places. Your pictures here are great too!

46. Marie Novak

August 30, 2017 at 2:41 am

Wow! Amazing post. There looks like there is so much to see and do. The photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

47. Kallia

August 30, 2017 at 2:56 am

I pinned your post. We always like planning trips especially on a budget and I think that Nuremberg is calling my name, so I would like to revisit the post! Thank you for all the tips!

48. Anosa

August 30, 2017 at 5:24 am

What a gorgeous city to explore, I have been to a few German cities but not yet been to Nuremberg. Definitely adding to my list.

49. Chelf

August 30, 2017 at 6:50 am

I love gremany even though it’s been years since I last visited! The open air markets are so good! And the food looks delish by the way! Did you happen to notice if they have any vegan options as well?

50. Tatiana

August 30, 2017 at 11:37 am

Awwww I love Germany. I’ve only ever been to Berlin but this is next on my growing list of places to visit! <3

51. Joanna

August 30, 2017 at 11:47 am

Nurenmbers looks lovely and you have captured it very well in your photos. I have only visited Berlin in Germany but I would love to return to more traditional, historic towns. The architecture of Nuremberg is so, so pretty.

52. Aditi

August 30, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I have never been to Germany, it’s on my list. Your pictures and all the information about Nuremberg is making me plan a trip to Germany super soon.

53. Clarie

August 30, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Germany is so beautiful. Wish I can go there

54. Kelly

August 30, 2017 at 1:09 pm

I love Germany! I’ve gone to a few places there but not Nuremberg. I’m hoping to go back to Europe sometime next year, we’ll have to put this on our list!

55. Newcastle Family Life

August 30, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I have never visited Germany before, it is not somewhere I have ever thought of visiting if I am honest. Nuremberg looks such a beautiful place, lovely photos x

56. Clarie

August 30, 2017 at 1:33 pm

This is amazing. A great city to have great adventure

57. Angela Tolsma

August 30, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I love your couple selfies! My husband and I do that too. I would love to go and visit cities rich with history and details. This like a beautiful place!

58. Gayathri

August 30, 2017 at 2:41 pm

With such notorious history Nuremberg has definitely piqued my interest. And your post gives more reasons to add it to my wish list.

Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

59. Urvi

August 30, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Wow!! your pictures are amazing. I love the architecture as well. I have never been to Germany but I want to visit at least one. Adding this town in my bucket list 🙂

60. Sayanti Mahapatra

August 30, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Such a beautiful city and you captured the moments so well. Love the post 🙂

61. Kailash Joshi

August 30, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I love traveling and I loved your photos, amazing sights, I always wanted to visit Germany someday and Nuremberg is an amazing city to explore.

62. Echo

August 30, 2017 at 4:20 pm

What a beautiful city! And that food, YUM! I have always wanted to visit Germany! It is still on my bucket list!

63. Sophie

August 30, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Oh wow this is actually like a fairy tale village! Loving the pictures that you took, and wishing I was there.

64. Lateefah

August 30, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Wow this is beautiful. Definitely on my bucket list

65. eliza

August 30, 2017 at 11:18 pm

This place looks interesting and historic, I would love to be there in the future, and eat those foods that you posted hehehe.

66. Shell

August 31, 2017 at 1:20 am

What a beautiful place to visit!!! Your photographs are absolutely gorgeous!!! I’d love to visit here one day!

67. Natalie Benton

August 31, 2017 at 3:09 am

I’ve been to Berlin and Frankfurt but I’ve always wanted to go to Nuremberg for the history. I loved reading your post and the food looks absolutely scrumptious; I’m such a foodie! Thanks for your post 🙂

68. Made Adayasa

August 31, 2017 at 3:53 am

Nuremberg , such a beautiful city . So much interesting place to visit and things to do . I will live to come there one day and explore the city

69. Blair villanueva

August 31, 2017 at 4:06 am

Beautiful village! I wish to visit Germany and my mission is to visit the best of the best beer bars in Germany and also visit some beer makers 🙂

70. Angela

August 31, 2017 at 4:40 am

Amazing photos! Sounds like a great place to visit with an interesting history!

71. yukti

August 31, 2017 at 11:34 am

Nuremberg is so magical and wonderland of Bavarian region. I went to Neuschweinstein from Fussen castle but missed this place. Thanks for sharing!

72. OhMySkin

August 31, 2017 at 12:20 pm

I love Germany so much and yet hardly anyone I know chooses it as a holiday destination. I think now that Nuremberg is definitely next on my list as it looks stunning!!!

73. Tiina A

August 31, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Lovely houses, the architecture is so unique in that region. Well the food certinly looks heavy, but so delicious!

74. Candy Rachelle

August 31, 2017 at 3:32 pm

My fiance visits there quarterly and I have yet to visit. I agreed I will go the next time he goes. Even though he knows the ins and outs of the town, I’m still printing this out! Can’t wait!

75. MELANIE EDJOURIAN

August 31, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I have yet to visit Germany. It looks very picturesque where you went. I would love to visit the open air market I’d enjoy that.

76. Louise

August 31, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Oh wow, Nuremberg looks like such a beautiful place to visit. I’ve never been to Germany before, but my brother worked over there for a while and loved it 🙂

Louise x

77. Heather

August 31, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I need more international travel in my life! I love how far back the history goes. Those beautiful old buildings and churches are incredible.

78. Yolanda

September 1, 2017 at 4:08 am

Wow! I am in heaven. This looks like my kind of place. I have yet to visit Germany but it is high on my list for sure.

79. Veethee Dixit

September 1, 2017 at 6:33 am

What a perfect timing! Just when I was planning my first trip to Germany, I came across this post. Thanks for the amazing tips. And the food looks so delicious. Sounds like a perfect holiday destination!
    Regards: Veethee

80. Stephanie | Adventures in Aussieland

September 1, 2017 at 9:01 am

I have a trip planned to Germany soon so this is super helpful! It looks like you had an incredible trip! Thanks for the tips 🙂

81. Cynthia

September 1, 2017 at 1:32 pm

So much to see! I like the look of those old buildings, would love to know the name of that architectural style! The Franconian Schauferle looks like an eisbein, my husband would love it!

September 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I am just a sucker for the old world and all the ways that it looks. It looks amazing. And the food looks equally fabulous. I will definitely have to stop off there sometime.

83. Chei Pangan

September 1, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Oh my goodness! This place is so fabulous! How i wish i can go here right now!

84. Cottagegardentrio

September 1, 2017 at 5:42 pm

What a really comprehensive guide to visiting Nuremberg, thanks for sharing.

85. Jazmin Williams

September 3, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Oh wow, this looks so gorgeous! I love this guide – so much info

86. Nayna Kanabar

September 3, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Nuremberg sounds like a beautiful place to visit, I love all the architecture in the buildings and also the open markets.

87. Via Bella

September 4, 2017 at 1:47 am

This is such a beautiful place- I would not have known that the Nazi’s were there. It makes me not want to visit on one hand but it makes me want to visit on the other hand. I love the small town ancient look. It’s absolutely beautiful!

88. London Mumma

September 4, 2017 at 9:59 am

I have never been or heard of Nuremberg, but I spy a COS so it must be a fabulous place to visit.

89. Elizabeth O

September 5, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Seeing those places with my naked eyes will really be worth it. This is so beautiful and wonderful. Wow!

90. Ashleigh Dougherty

September 6, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I have been to Germany once, but not in Nuremberg. It looks lovely here!