MOST BEAUTIFUL CASTLES IN GERMANY

(Last Updated On: August 26, 2017)

If you happen to be visiting Germany you should know that the most beautiful castles are there, so try to add at least one in your itinerary. No matter in which part of Germany you are traveling, you will find a castle close by since there are so many. You do not have to be obsessed with fairy tales like I am but visiting a castle is a once in a lifetime experience.

most beautiful castles in germany

Neuschwanstein Castle

The most popular of all castles is Neuschwanstein Castle. The reason for that is that this exact castle was an inspiration for Walt Disney`s Sleeping Beauty Castle. The castle is close to the town of Fussen and it can be reached from Nuremeberg and other major cities. Neuschwanstein was not built for defense purpose, like many other castles were, but it was actually built as a private residence for King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Shortly after his death the castle was open for public and it draws crowds all the time.

most beautiful castles in germany

Heidelberg Castle

Heidelberg Castle was built in the 13th century but later it was ruined. At first it was destroyed by the French in the 17th century, and then again by a fire from 1764. Even today, the castle was not restored but the ruins attract millions of visitors every year.

If you want to explore the castles you can find many tours on TripAdvisor. You can explore the castle on your own but in order to get inside you need a guided tour.

most beautiful castles in germany

Hohenzollern Castle

Hohenzollern Castle was a very important site in Prussian History. Inside the castle, even today can many artifacts and Kaiser Wilhelm II`s crown can be found. The first castle was built in the 11th century but it was destroyed and then rebuilt again in the 19th century.  The scene of the castle itself is jaw dropping and we can say that it reminds us of another Disney Castle.

Lichtenstein Castle

Lichtenstein Castle was built in honor of medieval knights of Lichtenstein in 19th century. The first castle was built in the 12th century but with time and so many wars it was destroyed. The new castle was built on those ruins which make the exterior today. Inside, a great collection of weapons can be found. The best time to visit the castle is during the autumn season when the leaves turn red and yellow.

most beautiful castles in germany

Eltz Castle

Eltz Castle was first built in the 12th century. One interesting fact about this castle is owned by the same family. This is the only castle that has not been destroyed over the time.

most beautiful castles in germany

Schwerin Castle

Schwerin Castle was built on an island in the Lake Schwerin. The castle was built during the German Romanticisms somewhere in the same time as the Neuschwanstein Castle. There are beautiful gardens on the castle grounds where you can spend a lovely afternoon.

Hohenschwangau Castle

Hohenschwangau Castle is very close to Neuschwanstein Castle. As a matter of fact Hohenschwangau Castle was the home of King Ludwig II. So he was one lucky king with 2 castles. When his father Maximilian died in 1864, King Ludwig II and his mother remained to live in this castle.

If you want to visit this castle you need to be a part of a guided tour, otherwise you cannot get inside. You can find the best tours on TripAdvisor.

most beautiful castles in germany

Mespelbrunn Castle

Most of the castles are built on top of a high mountain, because that is one good mechanism of defense but not Mespelbrunn Castle. This castle used water as defense. It was built in the early 15th century and today is privately owned but you can still visit since the family opens the doors for tourists.

Photo credit: Pixabay.com

Most beautiful castles in Germany

August 2, 2017 at 4:35 pm

This is such a great list. I have always wanted to see all of the different castles in Germany. I have heard that they are absolutely incredible. And I love all of the pictures you have of them here. Will have to remember to visit each and every one when I do make it out there.

2. Abby

August 3, 2017 at 6:16 pm

This list is amazing! Certainly sparked my interest in Germany! Keep up the amazing posts, they look great.
    Site: http://www.bananapancakestravel.com

3. Tifanee

August 8, 2017 at 10:36 am

I had no idea there were so many castles in Germany. I really like the Hohenzollern Castle. It looks beautiful at dusk and I like how it looks high among the greenery.

4. Medha

August 23, 2017 at 11:48 am

It is because of these gorgeous castles that Germany has been pinned to the top of my bucket list for next year. I absolutely love Neuschwanstein castle, it’s straight out of a fairy tale, as are others.

5. Zoran Stankovic

August 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm

This is so beautiful castle!So amazing post!Love it!

6. Kate Sinclair

August 23, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I never think of Germany as a place to go, but from the look of those castles that seems like a wrong decision. Thank you for sharing and opening my mind to Germany as a place to go!!!

7. luzel

August 23, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I live in Germany! I can actually go visit these castles. Ironically enough, i live in…Kassel! hahaha

8. Natasha

August 23, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Oh my, these are so beautiful. And definitely fairy tale worthy. I’d love to tour those.

9. Jade

August 23, 2017 at 2:35 pm

These places look amazing! Will have to visit Germany one day!!

10. Tiffany

August 23, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Wow all of these are so beautiful! I really want to go to germany soon so will definitely come back to this post!

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

11. Sandi

August 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm

I loved visiting castles when I was last in Germany. There is a Eurail train that goes by quite a few of them.

12. Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries

August 23, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I’ve been to Neuschwanstein Castle, and it was absolutely incredible. All of the others look so amazing as well!

13. Chloe

August 23, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Hi, I had no idea that ther were soo many castles in Germany readingyour post I couldn’t choose a favourite. We were talking about visiting Germany soon so we may have to fit in a castle now.

14. Stefanie

August 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm

I have been to Schloss Schwanstein a few years ago!! It´s so beautiful! I had no idea about so many other castles although I´m in Austria haha. Thank for sharing!!

15. Jasmin N

August 23, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Ooh amazing list! My old teacher who thaught me germany was such a Germany fanatic. She always told us about the castles so I noticed a few familiar ones here haha 😀

16. Kirsty Hoggons

August 23, 2017 at 6:38 pm

I am going to be going to Europe in December (not Germany, sadly!) and I have definitely got a few castles on my list. I really love them and definitely love the magical feelings that they bring!

17. Mary

August 23, 2017 at 7:01 pm

OMG!!! These are incredible!! I definite must put on my bucketlist!! 😍😍

18. Brian

August 23, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Only heard of Heidelberg & Lichenstein Castles before. None of these castles are made of sand?

19. jin

August 23, 2017 at 8:15 pm

I’ve been to Germany quite a handful of time and I would have to agree with everything in this list! All these castles are def worth visiting for their sheer beauty!

20. Jen Temcio

August 23, 2017 at 8:42 pm

I have never seen a castle in real life before. I would like to go see the Heidelberg Castle because the fact that it has not been restored makes me think that it would have a feeling of rich history . And yes!! The Hohenzollern Castle totally looks like a disney castle! They are all amazing.

21. Danielle Gould

August 23, 2017 at 10:13 pm

I would love to visit ANY of them! Looks like an incredible experience; awesome pics! Thanks for taking me there virtually!

22. Cassie

August 23, 2017 at 10:17 pm

These castles look breathtaking! Germany is such a beautiful country – I’d love to go visit and see some of these castles for myself!

23. kathryn Maher

August 23, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Wow never realised Germany had such a rich architectural past. What a wonderful heritage to have in your country. My favourite one is the first white castle. The Neuschwanstein castle definitely has the disney thing going on.

August 23, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Luckily I am obsessed with fairytales so I would love to visit castles that are entrenched in so much history and folklore. I like the sound of all of them but the one that appeals to me the most is Hohenzollern Castle it looks so pretty x

25. Stephanie

August 24, 2017 at 1:01 am

I’ve never been to Germany and it’s definitely on my list. These castles all look so gorgeous!

August 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I have never been to Germany before but I would love to go as well. Especially since those castles look so pretty! x

26. Angela

August 24, 2017 at 1:41 am

These castles are so magical looking! Beautiful photos. It would be amazing to visit some of them.

27. Zainab

August 24, 2017 at 2:12 am

These are all so beautiful I love the colours of the castles! Annoying that you need a guided tour to get into Heidelberg castle though, as I prefer exploring myself.

28. Eloise

August 24, 2017 at 2:30 am

I love all the castles! my goodness it’s breath taking at how beautiful the architecture is… I wish they made them here in the USA. I’ll add this to my bucket list ; )

29. Amy Dong

August 24, 2017 at 3:18 am

Wow, these are some of the most amazing castles. I’d absolutely love to go and see them myself someday. Gorgeous.

30. Debbie Savage

August 24, 2017 at 3:28 am

I keep telling my husband that this is something I want to visit! I can’t wait for us to visit Germany!

31. Lisa

August 24, 2017 at 3:30 am

Wow this was a great read! I seriously want to visit them all! So many interesting facts! Thanks for sharing this
    XO-Lisa

32. Heather Johnson

August 24, 2017 at 3:39 am

I have yet to travel outside the US. I would love to explore all the fabulous castles in Germany though!

33. Sondra Baker

August 24, 2017 at 3:43 am

I hope one day I can visit these castles! The architecture and location of these castles are absolutely stunning.

34. Ally

August 24, 2017 at 6:32 am

I have never been in any of these castles but I’m planning my visit for looong time. Germany and bavaria have absolutely the most incredible castles ever I think.

Ally,

35. Adriana Lopez Martin

August 24, 2017 at 6:33 am

Indeed breathtaking! I honestly want to go back to Europe soon. So many great places to visit and explore. Love the list of castles in Germany keeping for future travel plans.

36. Chei Pangan

August 24, 2017 at 6:36 am

Wow! These castles are so wonderful. I think Germany is one of the great country in the world. Oh how i wish i can visit here.

37. Helene

August 24, 2017 at 7:26 am

Awesome! These castles are all so beautiful:) I’ve been to Neuschwanstein, but I was too little to remember anything… I’m from Luxembourg, and we have some cool castles too, albeit not as fancy as the German ones:) Thanks for sharing!

38. Caitylis

August 24, 2017 at 7:54 am

Wow! These castles are like something I’ve never seen before?! They’re so ‘extra’ I love them! The castle near me in Lincolnshire is pretty BUT nothing like these! They look like the perfect places to take photos too!
    Much love, Caitylis x x

39. Cynthia

August 24, 2017 at 7:59 am

Germany is so beautiful. I sadly haven’t been there – yet! But my sister was touring Europe a couple of months ago, and she went to Neuschwanstein Castle. She said she couldn’t help but cry when she saw it, it is just too beautiful!

40. Rhian Westbury

August 24, 2017 at 8:34 am

Wow these castles are beautiful, I didn’t realize how many of them there were in Germany x

41. Promise Chika Maxwell

August 24, 2017 at 8:48 am

Wow! I never knew you can find loads of castle at every corner you hover in Germany. Never taken note of this as I have been to Germany on a several occasions. Good to know!

42. Leah

August 24, 2017 at 9:33 am

I have been to Neuschwanstein Castle and it was an awesome experience. Truly beautiful, and King Ludwig had some sort of obsession with swans as there are swans depicted in every room from what I remember. Definitely on my bucket list to see a few more of these beautiful castles! They all look so amazing!

43. Jen

August 24, 2017 at 10:13 am

Wow, Elena! Like many others have commented, I had no idea Germany had so many gorgeous castles! It was never a place I thought I’d ever visit but your post definitely changed that!

44. Samantha Carraro

August 24, 2017 at 10:22 am

Wow! I had no idea there were so many beautiful castles in Germany! I’d really like to do a tour of Germany to visit them all, they look magical and are beautiful pieces of architecture.

45. Jade

August 24, 2017 at 10:37 am

wow!!! I never thought Germany would have these beautiful castles.
    I just moved to Berlin – wonder are there any here! 🙂

46. Familyearthtrek

August 24, 2017 at 10:54 am

I am not into castles but I have to admit those castles in Germany looks amazing! Like I would wear Disney clothes when I visit them!😂 So beautiful and scary at the same!

47. sonali jain

August 24, 2017 at 11:47 am

such a great list, These castles are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

48. Heather

August 24, 2017 at 12:17 pm

These castles are so beautiful. I would love to travel abroad and see some someday.

49. Ching

August 24, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I have been to Germany before but didn’t realize there were castles there. Definitely on my list for next time. Thank you!

50. Chei Pangan

August 24, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Wow. Never saw a real castle in my entire life. With your pics in here, I just got amazed with how castles looked like. They are definitely amazing.

51. Scott

August 24, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I’m proud to say I’ve been to a couple of these! We lived in West Germany and made sure we visited as many as we could!

52. Cristal

August 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm

I think my favourite looks like Hohenzollern Castle so I will definitely have to visit next time I’m there.

53. Jessica bradsahw

August 24, 2017 at 2:14 pm

AHH!! They are all so gorgeous. How can you pick a favorite? Wow. I would love to visit a few of those some day.

54. Amrita

August 24, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Hohenzollern Castle is my favorite from the pictures you shared.I have heard a lot abut the fairytale castles in Germany .Just loved the stories.

55. Tanvi Rastogi

August 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Wow. These are some stunning castles. I would love to visit them all. Heidelberg Castle looks stunning.
    ❥ tanvii.com

56. Stephanie | Adventures in Aussieland

August 24, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Gosh I need to get my booty to Germany. My old housemate was from Heidelberg. I would love to be able to get her perspective on the castle in the area and other castles.

57. Katie | Life She Lives

August 24, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Oh wow, these castles are absolutely incredible! I have never been to Germany but would definitely like to one day, and I hope to make it to one of these stunning locations!

58. Nolusindiso Hleko

August 24, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Germany!!! OMG I love Germany. Everyone I’ve met from there has been wonderful, I am planning to go visit next year. I will make sure to check some of the castles

59. Joanna

August 24, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I have been to Germany once, to Berlin, but I didn’t get a chance to visit any of the castles from the country. I didn’t even know there are so many stunning ones! Hohenzollern Castle looks so beautiful and it is related to the history of my own country. I would love to visit it.

60. Inma

August 24, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for bringing me back memories of Neuschwanstein castle! My favorite so far and I have visited a few of them 🙂

61. Cindy Gordon

August 24, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I swoon when I see these gorgeous castles. It’s the stuff of fairytales.

62. Shell

August 24, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Wow!!!! I would love to visit these amazing places!!!!

63. Leslie

August 24, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I kid you not, I need to go to Germany to see these castles now. I am saving this for future reference!

64. Deepa

August 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Wow! Didnt know Germany has all these lovely castles. Thanks for sharing and this virtual trip.

65. Brandy

August 24, 2017 at 4:59 pm

These truly are beautiful castles, I hope to some day get to Germany to see them. We love stuff like this, such beauty. It’s amazing the workmanship that went into older castles too, simply breathtaking!

66. Sue Tanya McHorgh

August 24, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Wow all these castles look so wonderful. Germany looks like a nice place to visit. I will add to my bucketlist.

67. Nichole

August 24, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous! I have not yet been to Germany, but these would definitely be on my list.

68. Kelly

August 24, 2017 at 6:01 pm

These are all so gorgeous! I love Germany and their many, beautiful castles (and beer!).

69. Cecilia

August 24, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Those castles are so beautiful. They make me want to visit Germany!
    Thank you for sharing.

70. Stephanie Lane

August 24, 2017 at 9:50 pm

What incredible structures and such history. I can’t imaging the aww that you must feel touring these castles. I defiantly makes me want to be a princess….lol…

71. Jennifer

August 24, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Elena, I had the good fortue to visit Munich once in the mid-nineties , unfortunately missed Neuschwanstein Castle but did get to take a tour of King Ludwig’s palace…I believe it was Linderhof but not sure; it’s been awhile 🙂 He was quite the dreamer, I’ll say.

72. Janella Panchamsingh

August 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm

What a gorgeous place to visit the structures have such history behind it

73. Mal

August 24, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Wow, these are all amazing! I’ve been planning my visit to berlin for a while and this post inspired me to maybe expand my plans and visit some other places as well, as those are spectacular!

74. jill conyers

August 25, 2017 at 12:19 am

This is awesome. We’re planning a trip to Germany. Thanks for sharing this.

75. Ifesstyleroom

August 25, 2017 at 1:10 am

Wow These are really nice castles! Can’t wait visit sometime. Germany is on of my favorite cities

76. Aditi

August 25, 2017 at 1:13 am

All these castles are so pretty and picturesque, no doubt they remind of fairy tales. I’d definitely try to visit some of these if not all, my favorite would be Hohenzollern Castle! <3

77. Elizabeth O

August 25, 2017 at 5:38 am

Wow! Beautiful Germany! Great big structures as always!

78. Crystal

August 25, 2017 at 5:39 am

I have so many castle selfies, but they’re all at Disney parks. I need to get to Germany to see a real castle!

79. Tracey Crockett

August 25, 2017 at 6:41 am

WOW! I had no idea that Germany had so many castles. I’ve never wanted to go but now I do.

80. Alice

August 25, 2017 at 8:12 am

Hands down! Germany has the best collection of amazing castles! So awesome.

81. Sabine

August 25, 2017 at 8:19 am

Such a beautiful castles. I’m a big fan of these romantic monsters 🙂

82. Owen Kariuki

August 25, 2017 at 10:22 am

My Dad’s been to Germany before and he talked of at least two of these amazing mystical castles. They look awesome!

83. Fashion and Style Police

August 25, 2017 at 11:32 am

I have been to Germany once. I visited Dusseldorf but didn’t know about the beautiful castles. Will visit some when next I go.

84. Marcelle

August 25, 2017 at 12:13 pm

We drove past Neuschwanstein Castle but we feared the crouds of tourists. Now I think we should have gone anyway (or should have got up earlier to avoid the lines 😉

85. Ellie

August 25, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Those castles are incredible!! We do have some pretty epic castles in Europe. I had no idea that Neuschwanstein castle was the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty’s castle!!

August 25, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Those are some pretty amazing Castles. I would love to visit all of them, to be honest. I am just impressed that with Eltz castle that the original family still owns the property. That is just very impressive.

87. hal

August 25, 2017 at 2:03 pm

100% these castles are ridiculously beautiful…and when you travel on the right day and weather when there are clear skies it just magnifies everything perfectly. Neuschwanstein Castle is def my favourite

88. ZeeGoes

August 25, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Oh wow… I usually just skip out on castles when traveling, not big on architect. these are quite beautiful though

89. Wallis

August 25, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Ok it’s official, I have to go on a “castle-roadtrip” in Germany now! These castles are so incredibly beautiful!

90. Alice

August 25, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I’ve spent a lot of time in Germany, so have come across a castle or two! My favourite is the sleeping beauty castle – have you seen the mermaid statue on the lake not far from there?

Alice | Dainty Alice

91. Oursamyatra

August 25, 2017 at 7:01 pm

OMG !!!! Looks like dream castle. Your pictures and narration is so awesome that I really love to explore the places ..

92. MELANIE EDJOURIAN

August 25, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Those really are stunning castles. I’ve not been to Germany and I didn’t realise it was so beautiful there.

93. Juliette | Snorkels to Snow

August 25, 2017 at 10:17 pm

These castles are so magical and gorgeous looking! It’s a big drawcard for me to want to visit Germany. They are like fairytale castles! I can imagine how picturesque they would be in the snow too.

94. Kim

August 26, 2017 at 6:44 am

I love the castles in Germany, they’re truly the stuff of fairytales. I would really love to visit Heidelberg Castle, looks like a great place to explore.

95. Annemarie LeBlanc

August 26, 2017 at 4:59 pm

These castles are breathtaking! I can only imagine the pomp and splendor to live in those castles centuries ago. I would love to see them all in person.

96. Kyla Matton Osborne

August 26, 2017 at 7:42 pm

I wish I were a better traveller: I’d love to see all those castles firsthand! I think I am most drawn to Schwerin Castle, but I love the quirkiness of Eltz Castle too. From some angles, it looks like part of it is on a strange tilt 🙂

97. Kyla Matton Osborne

August 26, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I wish I were a better traveller: I’d love to see all those castles firsthand! I think I am most drawn to Schwerin Castle, but I love the quirkiness of Eltz Castle too. It has all these little towers coming out from unexpected places. And from some angles, it looks like part of it is on a strange tilt 🙂

98. Shawna

August 26, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Oh my goodness these are beautiful!! This has got to be in my list of places to visit. And I pinned this as well!

99. CATALINA NINI

August 26, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Germany is the country I want to visit because of its beautiful castles. Hohenzollern Castle is on my list. I would love to go there during the autumn season and see how magical the colours are.

100. Megan

August 26, 2017 at 10:35 pm

This is such a great list. All of these castles are beautiful. I would love to see them if I ever visit Germany.

101. Via Bella

August 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I totally pinned this for that one day when I will travel to conquer- I mean visit all of these most beautiful castles!

102. Dia All The Things I Do

August 27, 2017 at 1:58 am

These look like movie castles lol So beautiful. I think Hohenzollern Castle is my favorite. I’d love to go on a castl tour.

103. Michael @ Super Millennial

August 27, 2017 at 2:49 am

WOWWWW! This is amazing, I had no idea. Definitely going to save for my first visit to Europe next year!

104. Manoj

August 27, 2017 at 4:29 am

Really incredible! These castles reflect European culture, tradition and historical importance. The main thing is that they all situate in a silent and calm atmosphere.

105. Margarette Puno

August 27, 2017 at 8:34 am

I have never saw a castle in my entire life. How i wish i can see real castles soon. They are definitely amazing.

106. Nicole Flint

August 27, 2017 at 10:06 am

Beautiful castles! Germany has some great buildings and architecture! Pinned 🙂

107. Travel tips

August 27, 2017 at 11:37 am

This is a very interesting post, have been to germany several times and never had thought about the castles 😬🤔😩

108. yukti

August 27, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I have been to Neuschwanstein Castle and Heidelberg Castle but I was not knowing about other castles. Other castles are also so beautiful and worth visiting.

109. Tina Grant

August 27, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Love the history these castle hold. Oh, the stories they could tell. beautiful pictures and great information

110. Aireona- Nightborn Travel

August 27, 2017 at 5:39 pm

The Heildburg castle is my favorite, which is so funny because I think I went there as a kid, but I didn’t really get to enjoy it because we were on a long layover and I was dead tired. XD

111. Patricia-Ann Que

August 27, 2017 at 7:11 pm

i love visiting temples and castles and Germany just made it in the list! http://www.crayonized.com

112. Katrina + Every Super Woman

August 28, 2017 at 5:16 am

Wow! I’d like to make it out to Germany one day. Schwerin Castle is probably my favorite.

113. The Juander Woman

August 28, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Each one has their own unique personality. Would love to have castle overload on my trip!

114. Sassy

August 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Oh gosh these castles look so amazing and beautiful! I bet it made you feel like a princess!

115. Agnes

August 29, 2017 at 1:20 am

Wow! These castles are outstanding and my favorite is the Schwerin. I can imagine living in a place like that, would be amazing.

116. Blair villanueva

August 29, 2017 at 11:02 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I cant imagine how they can maintain it inside 🙂 Perfect for wedding venues 🙂

117. lola bellouere

August 30, 2017 at 7:59 am

Wow these are all incredible and I now want to visit them all! x
    Lola Mia // http://www.lolitabonita.co.uk