Places to Tick Off your Barcelona Bucket List

(Last Updated On: September 5, 2017)

No matter how many times you visit Barcelona there is always something new you will discover each time you go.

The first time I went to Barcelona I took a night bus from Madrid, because I did not want to waste time traveling during the day. The trip takes around 6 hours, and that is enough to take a couple of interrupted naps during the ride. Waking up in a new city is probably one of the best feelings in the world for every traveler, I guess.

I have visited Barcelona on couple of occasions so I thought to make a list of my favourite places and sights you should not miss while you are there.

Parc de la Ciutadella

I always start the list with my favourite place in a given city. Parc de la Ciutadella used to be the only green area in Barcelona and it is the best place to spend an afternoon wandering around.

La Barceloneta

Locals for some reason are not impressed with this beach, since they have many to compare it with, but for me this place is divine. I love having breakfast on a windy day with the waves crushing sound in the background.

The Arc de Triomf

The Arc de Triomf is nothing like the one in Paris but it is a beautiful sight to visit. It was built in 1888 for a World`s Fair.

Parc Guell

Many cities have signature parks but none of them is nowhere near like Parc Guell. The initial idea was to build a residential area for the wealthy people but somehow that didn`t work out and thanks to that we have this beautiful park for all of us today and it is another UNESCO World Heritage Site.

La Boqueria

I am not a fan of markets but La Boqueria is unique and it is a paradise for food lovers. It is the perfect place where you can have a breakfast and the choice is big, from fresh foods and vegetables to street food.

Montjuic Cable Car

From La Barceloneta you can go to Montjuic Hill with a cable car. The 78 meters will give you a stunning panoramic view of the city. Once you are up the hill you can visit the museum or just enjoy a nice quiet walk.

Placa d`Espanya

Plaza d`Espanya is a very important square with many attractions and places of interest. The best way to get there is by metro if you are in the city center. It is just 4 stations away from Plaza Cataluna with the L1 line and 3 stations away with L3 line from Maremagnum.

La Sagrada Familia

Sagrada Familia is the most popular and the most recognizable attraction in Barcelona. This cathedral is impressive and it is still under construction. You can go inside as well but you need to book your tickets online in order to avoid the crowds. Sagrada Familia is a Roman Catholic Church which was designed by Antoni Gaudi. Some say that the drawings that Gaudi had from the church were destroyed so for that reason the constructions are going slow. A great time to see the church is at night, it is a completely different experience.

Gothic Quarter

Gothic Quarter is the perfect place to get lost and just enjoy the city. The narrow streets will open the doors to bygone era.

The Gaudi Houses

Casa Batlo and La Pedrera are only some of the most famous works of Gaudi. Both of these houses are close to each other and they are located on a very popular shopping street Passeige de Gracia. Again, if you want to visit these houses you should buy the tickets online especially if you are pressed with time. You can check the prices for Casa Batllo or the Bone House here and for La Pedrera or Casa Milla which was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984 here.

Las Ramblas

Las Ramblas is the main walking street in Barcelona and as a matter of fact it is very hard to miss. This is the perfect place where you can wander the street or just sit down and have a cup of coffee. This street has a unique energy with its street performers and craftsmen.

Getting Around

The best way to explore a city is on foot, but let`s be realistic that is impossible in Barcelona since it is a colossal city. You will need to use public transportation now and then. The best and the cheapest way is to get the City Pass where you can get between 2 and 5 day public transport ticket, Check the prices here.

Barcelona Myth

Before you go to Barcelona you will hear people advising you to be extra careful of pick pocketing. It is a common sense to be extra careful wherever you are, even in your own city. I know that it might happen to someone but Barcelona is a safe city to visit and I even traveled solo on my first visit.

Where to stay

Most of the times I was in Barcelona I was staying in a hostel and I have to say that they are not very good. Before you book your stay read the reviews and be extra careful with cleanliness, since that was the only thing that bothers me the most. Check availability on Booking.com since this is the best and the most reliable website that I always use for finding accommodation.

Another great option is to rent a place through Airbnb. You can find great rooms and apartments since there are a lot of great options. You can use this code to get $27 free AirBnb credit.

Inspired? Pin this:

Barcelona Bucketlist

Have you been to Barcelona before? What are your favourite landmarks?

1. Stephanie

September 20, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Hi Elena! Though I’ve never been to Barcelona, it’s definitely on my bucket list – your post is super concise, with some nice pictures to boot!

2. Emily S.

September 20, 2017 at 11:12 pm

This is wonderful! I will pass along to my sister who is visiting Spain for a while. So much to do!

3. Josselyn Radillo

September 21, 2017 at 1:15 am

I’m going to spain in a couple of months to study and probably i’ll go to those places!! Great Guide!!

4. Ithfifi

September 21, 2017 at 8:30 am

I’ve never been to Barcelona but now I want to go even more! I love seeing different cultures and seeing things like markets, seeing all the unusual new treasures! I’d literally want to see every location you’ve posted, especially the La Sagrada Familia!

5. Chelsea

September 21, 2017 at 10:19 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Barcelona. Even more now after reading this post. It looks like such a beautiful place. I agree about pick pocketing, that can happen anywhere. People will always have some pre judgements about somewhere but I think it’s important to experience it yourself then form your own opinion. I found this post super helpful with lots of tips.

6. christine

September 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Wow, this really looks amazing. I hope to travel there some day when the kids are grown.

7. Techfern Websolutions

September 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

It’s Seems Wonderful Place To visit Barcelona Thanks For Sharing!!!

8. Kallia

September 21, 2017 at 5:15 pm

My friend just came back from Barcelona and she loved it. All her pictures are very pretty and now that I see that yours are beautiful too, I wish to go there someday!

9. Marcie W.

September 21, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Barcelona is one of the top destinations on my travel bucket list and I look forward to visiting someday. Just seeing all of that gorgeous architecture would be enough to satisfy my soul.

10. Courtney Blacher

September 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Wow, Barcelona is so beautiful! That palace looks amazing! Ahh, I need to visit Barcelona soon. Thanks for sharing.

11. Heather Johnson

September 21, 2017 at 5:39 pm

My family would love to explore the Parc de la Ciutadella. I would also love to check out some of those sweets!

12. Reese Alvarado

September 21, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I want that big lollipop so badly! And wow, Barcelona is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures.

13. Neely Moldovan

September 21, 2017 at 6:35 pm

What an amazing guide to Barcelona! These pics are great. Now I really want to plan a trip!

14. Liz Mays

September 21, 2017 at 7:47 pm

I’d really enjoy seeing the Arc de Triomf and the Sagrada Familia. It’s always nice to be able to see architecture like that since it has survived for so long!

15. Cia Black

September 21, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Such a beautiful place, Never even thought to add that to a list of places to travel, but after seeing this I may have to add it to my wish list

16. Ania Travels

September 21, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I was in barcelona once for about 15 hours all together and was sick with a fever, een though I did ALOT I still need to go back and explore more of it.

17. Bea

September 21, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I love Barcelona! I have been there so many times and still enjoy the life there. I could spend hours on the Ramblas on just chillin’ in Park Güell!

18. Tami

September 22, 2017 at 12:59 am

I may have to visit Barcelona twice to get in all these great places. I can’t decide on just a few.

19. Tiffany Haywood

September 22, 2017 at 1:25 am

What an amazing destination!! I would love to be able to check Barcelona off my list and get the chance to explore and see all these amazing places!

20. Erica Schwarz

September 22, 2017 at 2:48 am

These places all look so gorgeous. It is a dream of mine to travel – I have never! (hangs head in shame). But once the kids are older, and we save $$, I would love to go to Barcelona.

21. valmg @ Mom Knows It All

September 22, 2017 at 3:50 am

I have never been to Barcelona or any part of Spain, which is on my travel bucket list. It looks like they have some lovely architecture there.