3 Day Itinerary for Sri Lanka

(Last Updated On: August 13, 2017)

Sri Lanka is a small island in the Indian Ocean. This country is popular for its ancient ruins which date back more than 2000 years.

I cannot think of many other small places that are packed with UNESCO World Heritage Sites in such a tiny area.

I just wish I had more time to explore the country. We arrived from Bangkok at Colombo International Airport and had only 3 days to make the most of the trip. I did not want to stress out about this trip so I found a great deal online from Olanka Travels. They offer different packages but the most convenient for us in this case was the 3 Days Tour Package which covers the city of Kandy and Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka.

What I like the best about this agency is that they will go through the details with you and if you have some changes they will discuss it with you.

I had a list of things that I wanted to see in both cities and thanks to them I manage to cover it all and had a great time. I didn`t have to stress out about changing buses and trains, the agency does all for you. I just had to show up and enjoy my trip.

Sri Lanka has so much to offer. You can spend time on one of the many beautiful beaches if you feel lazy and you want to soak up on the sun. If you feel more adventurous you can go on a hike through the hills and the forest. You can visit some of the many temples and ruins and learn about the history and the culture.

Colombo – Sri Lanka

Colombo is a busy town and has many things to offer. There are 3 large museums here the Dutch Period Museum, the Natural History Museum and the National Museum of Colombo. If you want to learn something about the history of the city you should head to one or all three of them.

Another thing that you should not miss in Colombo is Seema Malakaya, which is one of the most famous Buddhist temples.

Walk around the streets, because you will see that the experience is way different here than in other western or European country.

No matter when you visit Colombo the chances are it will be hot and humid. Walking around the streets can be a bit exhausting. For that reason you can take tuk-tuk. This is one of the main transportation not only for tourists but for locals as well. Trust me, they are really fun to ride!

Try some of the local food. It is really delicious. There are lots of food vendors and some of them even have tables on the pavement.

Where to stay in Colombo

Accommodation in Colombo is quite cheap. If you are looking for a place to stay you can check TripAdvisor and Booking.com where you can find the best deals and read honest reviews from travelers.

Kandy – Sri Lanka

Kandy is another important city in Sri Lanka that I did not want to miss. This is a small town and I think in general that small towns have lots more to offer.

One of the most famous attractions in Kandy is the ceremony at the temple of the tooth. I was surprised to find out that not only tourists but also locals want to watch the ceremony and see the sacred tooth of Buddha.

You can explore the streets and try some local Sri Lankan cuisine here in Kandy.

Later, you can visit the Bogombara Lake. I would suggest you to do it when the sun sets and catch the “magic hour” for some good photos.

Another thing that you should not miss is the Royal Palace Park. This is a place that is just up the hill and it is really quiet and you can hide from the sun too.

Note – This is a sponsored post but all opinions are my own.

3 Day Itinerary for Sri Lanka

Have you been to Sri Lanka before? Would you add anything to this list and have you visited some other cities too?

1. Avatar

Lauren

August 9, 2017 at 6:44 pm

I’ve never been to Sri Lanka but would love to go! Thank you for the tips 🙂

2. Avatar

Nichole

August 9, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I have never visited Sri Lanka, but am sure I would want to spend more than 3 days there! This is a great itinerary.

3. Avatar

thakickfiend

August 9, 2017 at 7:00 pm

sounds like you had a to of fun on your trip and sri lanka sounds like a refreshing place.thanks for sharing your experience.

4. Avatar

Cara

August 9, 2017 at 7:46 pm

I’ve never even heard of Sri Lanka before. It looks like a beautiful place with a lot of things to do. I love hiking and spending time on the beach.

5. Avatar

Andrea

August 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm

I’ve always been so curious about Sri Lanka. These pictures are amazing! Thank you! 🙂

6. Avatar

Vinil

August 9, 2017 at 8:08 pm

I haven’t visited Colombo even though it’s only a 2 hour flight from my city. But I’ve heard only good things, and I look forward to it.

7. Avatar

JEANNINE DIPPENAAR

August 9, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Sri Lanka is on our holiday to do list, and with all your tips and advice, it will be magical.

8. Avatar

Afroz

August 9, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Sri Lanka is very near to India and their culture and food is very similar to south India. Never been there, would love to take a trip.

9. Avatar

Afroz

August 9, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Sri Lanka is very near to India and their culture and food is very similar to south India. Some day plan to visit this beautiful country

10. Avatar

Heather Johnson

August 9, 2017 at 9:28 pm

What a great list of ideas for visiting Sri Lanka for a couple of days. I would love to be able to explore the history of the island!

11. Avatar

Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries

August 9, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I’ve never been there, but it looks like such an incredible place!

12. Avatar

Tanvi Rastogi

August 9, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Sri Lanka is on my travel list – I cannot wait to visit it. May be on my next trip back home. 🙂
    ❥ tanvii.com

13. Avatar

Chef Dennis

August 9, 2017 at 10:49 pm

There is so much to do in Sri Lanka! thanks so much for sharing this beautiful country with us

14. Avatar

Paige

August 10, 2017 at 12:16 am

I have been hoping to go to Sri Lanka in the next couple of years! Loved hearing about more things to do while I’m there.

15. Avatar

Nicole V

August 10, 2017 at 12:17 am

Sounds like a great time in Sri Lanka! The photos were very beautiful.

16. Avatar

Kori

August 10, 2017 at 12:29 am

Absolutely stunning! This is now on my bucket list, along with all the other gorgeous places I want to visit some day! Fantastic post!!!

17. Avatar

Brigette

August 10, 2017 at 12:47 am

I have never been to Sri Lanka but it looks quite enjoyable! I really like some of the older architecture you shared in your photos.

18. Avatar

Danielle Gould

August 10, 2017 at 1:01 am

This is on my bucket list. It looks so serene and beautiful. There also seems like there is a lot more to do besides the beaches. Thanks for all the info.

19. Avatar

Shell

August 10, 2017 at 2:06 am

Wow! I’d love the chance to explore here one day !

20. Avatar

Scott

August 10, 2017 at 2:29 am

I’ve always wondered if it was a safe place to visit for an American. Seems the list of safe places changes almost weekly!

21. Avatar

Adriana Lopez

August 10, 2017 at 3:51 am

wow those monuments and the architecture is breathtaking who knew Sri Lanka was going to be so beautiful now I need to visit you have inspired me with your tips and pics

22. Avatar

Mary

August 10, 2017 at 4:54 am

I’ve always heard such wonderful things about visiting Sri Lanka. It is definitely on my “places to visit list”.

23. Avatar

Chloe

August 10, 2017 at 5:07 am

I’ve never been to Sri Lanka but it looks like a beautiful part of the world! Are you able to travel there often? And I like the name Kandy for a town 🙂

24. Avatar

Liene

August 10, 2017 at 7:15 am

Oh, the beach!!! Looks like a very interesting place. I would like to travel to Sri Lanka.

25. Avatar

Cynthia

August 10, 2017 at 7:39 am

Great guide! I’d love to visit all of these exotic and historical countries, and it’s great to find a blogger willing to share secrets about where to stay what to see!

26. Avatar

jill conyers

August 10, 2017 at 7:57 am

I’ve never been to sri lanka before but I would love to go. One day!

27. Avatar

Becca Talbot

August 10, 2017 at 8:37 am

I really would love to go to Sri Lanka! My grandma keeps asking if I’ll take her 🙂 I took her to India last year x

28. Avatar

Leah

August 10, 2017 at 8:58 am

Another place to add to my travel bucket list! I love immersing myself in the history of where I visit and I have to say I don’t know much of the history of Sri Lanka, so visiting here would be very interesting!

29. Avatar

Rhian Westbury

August 10, 2017 at 9:17 am

I’d love to visit Sri Lanka, looks like such an interesting place x

30. Avatar

Cindy Gordon

August 10, 2017 at 9:41 am

That is amazing that they were able to help you hit everything you wanted to see. That Buddhist temple was beyond gorgeous.

31. Avatar

Natalie Dickinson

August 10, 2017 at 1:10 pm

No, I’ve never been to Sri Lanka but would like to! I’d definitely love wandering the streets and eating street food from vendors too.

32. Avatar

Candy Rachelle

August 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I would someday love to visit Sri Lanka. Your photos are really gorgeous! The white museum: oh my goodness it is beyonnd beautiful! Glad you had a great time there!
    How to Breakfast in Bed Like a Queen

33. Avatar

Ana De- Jesus

August 10, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I am off to do some external research on Shri Lanka as I had no idea that there were so many national heritage sites. As for Bogombara lake I would love to visit it sounds magical!

34. Avatar

sara

August 10, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your itinerary. Looks like you have a lot of great activities planned.

35. Avatar

Ania Travels

August 10, 2017 at 3:39 pm

What a great itinerary. I would love to go there someday. I’m totally interested in seeing the architecture and drinking loads and loads of tea.

36. Avatar

Denise

August 10, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I’d definitely need some kind of tour to travel to a destination like this. It would make the experience so much more relaxing.

37. Avatar

Dunja

August 10, 2017 at 9:29 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Sri Lanka! Thank you for making me feel a bit of its spirit while I’m waiting for a chance to actually visitit 🙂

38. Avatar

Aditi

August 11, 2017 at 3:26 am

I’ve been meaning ot visit Sri Lanka, but that hasne happened yet. Maybe I will get to visit soon, thanks for sharing this post, it’s very informative.

39. Avatar

Prateek Goel

August 11, 2017 at 4:51 am

Srilanka – a too close country from my country India!! You have definitely shared a must visit itinerary of Srilanka. Relaxing, tea, architecture and many more…wonderful!! truly heaven!!

40. Avatar

David Elliott

August 11, 2017 at 5:15 am

I love the museum picture that you have from Colombo. It looks like you had a great trip out there. I love how different this city is from other American or European Cities. Just love the culture in Asia.

41. Avatar

Ali Rost

August 11, 2017 at 6:35 am

Sri Lanka sounds like such a wonderful place to visit! If my husband and I are ever lucky enough to go I know we’d love to visit Colombo is Seema Malakaya (for him) and eat our weight in street vendor food (for her) Yum!

42. Avatar

Tina H

August 11, 2017 at 7:43 am

What a beautiful place! I need to check this place out someday!

xo Tina
    IG: @tinasweetheart

43. Avatar

Alayna

August 11, 2017 at 4:00 pm

It looks absolutely beautiful there! Definitely a place I would love to visit! Thanks for sharing

44. Avatar

POOJA MITRA

August 11, 2017 at 9:22 pm

This place looks quite similar to India. Have been wanting to visit it for quite some time.

45. Avatar

Wynne Katherine

August 12, 2017 at 1:05 am

Sri Lanka looks wonderful! I would love to visit there someday!

46. Avatar

Sauumye Chauhan

August 14, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I have heard so much about Sri Lanka. It looks like a fantastic Tropical country. Would love to visit it one day!!

47. Avatar

k

August 14, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Sri Lanka is so beautiful!

48. Avatar

Elizabeth O

August 29, 2017 at 10:31 am

Such a great monuments and architectures. Sri -Lanka looks serene and breathtaking views. Looks like you had a great time and lots of activities to explore.