Guide to Giethoorn: A Fairy Tale Town with no Roads

(Last Updated On: February 19, 2018)

The first time I heard about Giethoorn, a beautiful village in the Netherlands, was after I got back from my trip to Venice. I was impressed with the city and the canals and I knew that there are probably more places that have canals instead of streets.

Read more about 15 Wonderful Canal Cities

The first thing that springs to mind when we say canals is Venice for sure, and after that Amsterdam but not many would say Giethoorn.

giethoorn

Giethoorn is actually known as ‘Venice of the North’, and it is one of the most adorable and cutest, fairy tale towns in the world. Those thatched houses at first look reminded me of the Secret Cottages of Costwold, and the gardens are simply divine.

There are not more than 3000 people living there and it seems like everyone lives on a private island. The only way to reach the houses is by boats because there are no streets, and tourist can cross the 180 small wooden bridges to explore the place on foot.

giethoorn

How to get to Giethoorn?

Giethoorn is located in the municipality of Steenwijkerland and it is easily accessible by public transportation. If you are traveling from Amsterdam the trip will take longer than 2 hours because you need to change transportation. You need to catch a train from Amsterdam to Steenwjik and then you have to catch a bus to Giethoorn.

What to do in Giethoorn?

When it comes to things to do in this picturesque village the choice is very limited. This is one of those places where you can go and have a relaxing and lazy day. You can rent a bike or boat to explore the village. We would advise you to book it in advance though because during the high season it can be a bit hard to find one. There are beautiful restaurants where you can have lunch by the water and sip some cocktails.

Where to Stay?

If you are looking for a place to stay here I would advise you to search for a place on Booking.com, which is the best website that never fails to offer the best and most affordable accommodation. The drive from Amsterdam is really long so you should stay at least for one night and enjoy the serene atmosphere of the village.

giethoorn

Inspired? Pin this:

1. Mike from TravelAndDestinations

December 8, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Giethoorn looks like a beautiful place and like a great escape from cities and destinations that people would normally visit. I like the sound of no roads as well. Thanks for sharing I’ll be adding to my list! 🙂

2. Julie Plagens

February 20, 2018 at 12:03 am

It does look like a place where fairies live. How interesting that it is like Venice. I have never heard of this place. . The gardens are lovely.

3. Mike Morgan

February 20, 2018 at 2:29 am

Me and my girl have been planning a trip like this! looks great!

4. Laura Dove

February 20, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Just WOW! This is literally my idea of the dream location. I would up and leave in an instant!

February 20, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Wow, this place looks so amazing, I recently visited a town with no roads but just narrow canals and it was just an amazing experience . Would love to visit Giethoorn.

6. Blair Villanueva

February 21, 2018 at 6:46 am

This place looks dreamy! It would be nice to paddle your boat here 😀
    I think this is worth visiting.

7. Mayuri Saxena

February 21, 2018 at 8:58 am

OMG! This looks straight out of a fairy tale. I have never heard of Giethoorn before but this place deserved to be visited. What do you think is the perfect time to visit Giethoorn?

8. Chelsea

February 21, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Omg. How picture perfect? It’s like something you’d see from a movie. I had never heard of Giethoorn before but it looks absolutely delightful

9. Ridima

February 21, 2018 at 7:20 pm

This place is so pretty. The houses, canals and the fact there are no roads!! I completely think you chose the right season. Look at the greens and the flowers!!!

10. Rachel

February 21, 2018 at 8:22 pm

Wow, Ive not heard of this town either, but it looks idyllic – its almost as if its out of a fairy tale!

February 21, 2018 at 9:27 pm

This town looks so cool. I had never heard of geithoorn before. It sounds like quite the adventure and all the cottages are so adorable there. I love the fact that it has no streets for typical travel.

12. Michele Dennis

February 21, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Giethoorn looks like such a magical place! I love the cottages and those gardens are exquisite, they look like they could be fairy gardens. Truly beautiful, it really does look like a fairytale.

13. Erica Ardali

February 22, 2018 at 1:22 am

OMG it looks like the village from Beauty and the beast. I’d love to stay there

14. oyibo

February 22, 2018 at 6:11 pm

such an amazing place.. looks so calm and beautiful.. this is a place someone could go for meditation

15. danasia fantastic

February 22, 2018 at 6:51 pm

This place looks like the neighborhood in the first Lord of the Rings- it’s so pretty!

16. Chinedu

February 22, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Wow, Gierthoorn looks so colourful, cheerful and summery. What a beautiful place to visit – it is deffo on my list to visit. Thanks for sharing!

17. Keith E Ashwood

February 23, 2018 at 9:02 am

It looks so vibrant there. I want to visit after seeing this pictures