7 White Towns in Italy

(Last Updated On: February 9, 2018)

Italy is one of the most amazing countries in Europe and it is a gold mine with architectural hidden gems. This time we are looking for small towns and villages where the houses are mainly white and it turns out that there are many.

I hope that after seeing all this picture perfect white towns you will grab your camera and go explore at least some, if not all of them.

Read more about 15 Cities You Have To Visit in Italy

1 | Alberobello

Alberobello is the perfect white pearl in Italy with its small whitewashed stone huts. This small town in Puglia is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996. You can hire a car to get there or you can go by train to explore this fantasy land.

white towns italy

2 | Atrani

Atrani is the smallest community in Italy with its 0.12 km surface area. The city is clinging to the cliff face, thus offering some stunning views of the sea. It is just a short stroll from Amalfi so if you happen to be there do not underestimate Atrani.

3 | Cisternino

Cisternino is another town that seems intact for centuries. The whitewashed houses are making this small city charming and a must-visit destination on the coast of south eastern Italy.

4 | Matera

Matera is another UNESCO World Heritage Site in Italy. It is a cave town with more than 30 000 years of history. In order to see Matera you will need to climb many stairs so take your walking shoes before you go.

5 | Ostuni

Ostuni is one of the most striking white towns in Puglia with its small narrow streets. Walk up and down the cobbled alleys and see the 15th century Gothic Cathedral, have a coffee in the piazza and take as many photos as you can.

6 | Otranto

Otranto is a seaside town which is considered one of the most vibrant towns of Puglia. Otranto has small beaches and rich history. One of the most remarkable attractions is the 11th century cathedral. Inside the cathedral you can see the 800 year old mosaic with scenes from the Old Testament.

7 | Siracusa

Siracusa is a city that is located on the coast of Sicily. In Siracusa you can find one of the most beautiful squares in Italy and do not miss the ancient Greek theater that is cut in a rock.

Read more about 35 Most Beautiful Places in Italy

Where to stay in Italy?

If you are looking for a place to stay you can find the best accommodation on Booking.com. Search your dates and enjoy exploring all the white towns in Italy.

Inspired? Pin this:

7 #whitetowns in #italy

This post contain affiliate links

1. Amalia

January 26, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Wow, such beautiful places I never heard and I love Italy! Alberobello looks such a different place to see from what I normally visit, well worth the trip!

2. Anna

January 26, 2018 at 9:56 pm

I can’t wait for my kids to grow a bit bigger so we can have a proper family vacation. (2 under 2 is not much fun to travel with) Our first destination is definitely going to be Italy. It’s a wonderful place full with little gems as you just said. I love it!

3. Laurence

January 27, 2018 at 12:33 am

Oh my, your pictures are amazing. I didn’t know there’s white towns in Italy. It’s like Santorini, it’s just white 🙂

4. Soonjoo

January 27, 2018 at 6:17 pm

These are beautiful places in Italy! Especially Matera is place that I would love to visit! Full of ancient history and architecture to experience with!

5. Cristina

January 27, 2018 at 11:00 pm

I love Italy but I haven’t made it to many white towns yet. Puglia is on the list for next time!

6. Chelsea elizabeth

January 28, 2018 at 12:25 am

Your pictures are incredible. We’ve been chatting about honeymoon destinations and Italy seems to be a firm favourite at the minute. I love everything I see about it from the views to the food.. everything! Beautiful.

January 28, 2018 at 1:56 am

Oh I have been to Puglia, but somehow missed Alberobello to see those exquisite white huts, they all looked amazing. A walk in those lanes could have been so pleasant! A great guide, indeed Italy is one of the best place in Europe.

8. macy

January 28, 2018 at 8:52 am

Wow! I didn’t even know there are so many nice white town in Italy before you post! (now i know, thank you 😘) Would love to explore them one day especially Atrani near the Amalfi coast – Bucket List!!

9. Dalene

January 28, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Atrani is a really beautiful town for sure! The nearby view by the waters is soo pretty I’d love to watch! I didn’t even know about white towns oh my!Architectural gems for sure!

10. fashionandstylepolice

January 28, 2018 at 7:57 pm

I visited Milan for the first time last year. I love Italy. Would definitely want to visit these cities some day.

11. Roby H.

January 28, 2018 at 7:59 pm

Beautiful! My girlfriend and I are looking for an interesting place to travel this summer and this might actually make the list. Sending to her now to see what she thinks 🙂

12. Esperanza Scotto

January 28, 2018 at 8:48 pm

All of these towns are so quaint! I love Italy, it’s such a beautiful country. Love that you are sharing white towns, they are so instagrammable! 🙂

13. Laura Dove

January 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Wow I never heard of these white towns before! I’ve seen photos but nothing like this! I am desperate to go to Italy!

14. Alison Rost

January 29, 2018 at 1:22 am

Italy is a dream and it’s one of the most beautiful places that one can visit. I think these are all a must see and it would be nice to take time and explore each one!

15. Vasundhra

January 29, 2018 at 1:42 am

These pictures are gorgeous! I am in love with Italy now, wish I can visit this beautiful country soon!

January 29, 2018 at 4:32 am

There are so many great towns in Italy that people say to visit. But I had never heard of these places. They all look so amazing. More places on my bucket list on a trip to Italy I have to make.

17. Sarmistha Goswami

January 29, 2018 at 2:04 pm

I thought I knew quite lot about Italy but I had never heard of these white towns! They are definitely a photographer’s delight! Would love to visit someday 🙂

18. Shadi Saberian

February 7, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Wow Italy looks breathtaking, I need to start planning my trip there! I would love to visit these white towns and definitely will be soon! Also, these pictures look like they’re straight from a magazine, what camera do you use?