Metsovo, A Vlach Village in the Misty Pindus Mountain

(Last Updated On: February 5, 2018)

This post contains affiliate links

Metsovo, or as the locals call it the diamond of Pindus, is a one of the most beautiful regions of Epirus. This is a small village that stands between imposing mountains and flowing rivers. Metsovo is a place that will definitely steal a place in your heart.

You can experience an authentic image of the Greek countryside if you decide to visit Metsovo, a small heaven on Earth. It is built in 1200 m altitude and it has a perfect location too. It is placed on the exact spot where the North and South Pindus actually separate. Even though there are many tourists visiting this place it still has managed to keep its traditional character.

When to visit Metsovo

You can visit Metsovo all year round. The temperature does not exceed 10 degrees C throughout the whole year, so you do not have to avoid summer. You can walk the cobbled roads whenever you want but make sure you do it, at least once in a lifetime.

Food and Entertainment

Metsovo is a real paradise for people who love good food. The restaurants might be over priced because this place is very popular lately. But at the entrance of the village there are 2 Doner Kebab restaurants where you can have a delicious meal for a normal price, after all you are in Greece and that is the food you must try, right? My advice is to try the local sweet cookies, trust me you cannot decide which one to grab first in the local confectionary stores, and there are many in Metsovo.

Places Worth Seeing

There are a couple of places and things that you should see once you are in Metsovo. For instance, the church of Aghia Paraskevi, which was built in the 15th century, then the statue of Evangelos Averof are only some of the things you can see when you visit Metsovo.

Metsovo was on our way to Parga so we had only couple of hours there. Once you know what you are looking for, then just couple of hours is more than enough.

Where to stay in Metsovo?

Metsovo seems like a perfect destination for a serene, relaxing holiday. I just wish we had more time to unwind in this startling place. If you are heading up to Metsovo you can find accommodation on Booking.com.

Inspired? Pin this:

Things to do in Metsovo #greece

1. Ryan

February 9, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Never heard of this city before. Looks very cool and full of culture. Some great recommendations. Well done

2. Kweni

February 9, 2018 at 10:44 pm

What an off the beaten path trip! I have never heard of this town before but thanks for putting it into the map.

3. Amalia

February 9, 2018 at 11:04 pm

I have not heard of this village but it looks almost like an Italian village. Would love to visit as it seems really traditional with the food and the temperature that does not go to hot it’s perfect!

4. Victoria

February 9, 2018 at 11:17 pm

I’ve never heard of this place before, but it looks lovely and quaint. I wouldn’t mind exploring it and trying their food too. Your pictures are stunning. Thanks for sharing!

5. Akamatra

February 10, 2018 at 9:04 am

Can you believe I’ve never been there? My sister went to the University of Ioannina and she’s been there a lot of times but never with me 🙁

6. Sayanti | bingeonbasics.com

February 10, 2018 at 9:57 am

I have never heard of this place, but the city is so vivid and colorful. It seems that people here are quite traditional and it will be so good to learn about their culture too 🙂

7. Laurence

February 10, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Never heard of Metsovo before, thanks for your detailed post on what to do in the city. And kinda look like a Greek countryside. Great photos too.

8. sabrina barbante

February 10, 2018 at 6:09 pm

this village sounds lively and interesting despite being small. It reminds me some small italian village, so I think I would feel like home there

9. Sharon Koenig

February 10, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Never heard of Metsovo! What a magical looking village. The pictures you captured are absolutely stunning. It’s so colorful and full of character that it looks like it belongs in a Disney movie. I hope to visit Greece soon, so I will definitely be stopping by this cute little oasis.

10. Mayuri Saxena

February 11, 2018 at 7:59 am

I have never heard of Metsovo before but it looks like an interesting place to visit. I checked out the hotels rate and it doesn’t look expensive too… 🙂

11. Cristina

February 11, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Like most other people reading, I didn’t even know Metsovo was a place! It looks like a charming village, I’d definitely consider visiting

12. Renata Green

February 11, 2018 at 6:57 pm

I was so glad when finally the word ‘Greece’ came up – so I finally didn’t feel like a complete moron anymore 😉 I like it a lot when travel blogger introduce places that are not as known yet, and Metsovo sounds really very serene and charming. Plus – who doesn’t like good Greek food, right?!

13. Aditi

February 11, 2018 at 11:04 pm

I haven’t heard of this place before, I wonder why. I didn’t get to visit this place while we were in Greece, I hope I get to visit Greece again and then plan for this pretty village. It looks so traditional, straight out of some storybook.

14. Tetyana Artemova

February 12, 2018 at 12:24 pm

I think Metsovo is really a great place though I have never been there before. It is so green and beautiful!

15. Mira

February 13, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Mestovo looks like a beautiful, quiet town with old charm. I love those kinds of places – they are not too touristy, yet very calm and relaxing.

16. Amber Marie

February 13, 2018 at 5:48 pm

This is a place I hadn’t heard of. It is picturesque! So beautiful and quaint, I love the architecture and the cobbled roads. I bet the food is amazing too!

17. Christopher Mitchell

February 13, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Hm, I’m totally sold. I think these off the beaten path destinations are going to become more and more popular as the world continues to embrace travel more and more.