Gari – Macedonia`s Hidden Gem

(Last Updated On: July 19, 2018)

Gari is a small village in the South West Macedonia that is definitely worth the visit.

I have been traveling for so long that I have been unable to explore my own country. For that reason I am planning to visit every hidden village that I can find on the map. On our last trip we were exploring the National Park Mavrovo and the surrounding area and we had a blast.

gari macedonia

Gari is part of the Debar municipality and it is only 50 kilometers south of Mavrovo and 20 kilometers east south of Debar.

This was quite the opposite of how I am used to travel. I have always been exploring big cities and places where there is lots to see, so this was nice for a change. There is not much you can do here but take a long and relaxing stroll in this picturesque village and take as many pictures as you can.

When to Visit?

The best time to visit Gari is during the summer. The village is located in the Bistra massif so during the winter time it can be hard to reach. In 2002 there were only 10 people who inhabited the village and I believe that that number is even smaller nowadays. There are hardly any people living full time there, instead they have inhabited some larger nearby cities and they go back to the village during the summer only.

Find out some Reasons to Visit Plovdiv, a Hidden Gem on the Balkans

There is one nice “meana” where you can try some of the local food and drink homemade moon shine or “rakija”. The thing that I liked the best about this place is that is built next to the river and there are only a couple of tables there. So even if it is busy it is worth to wait for someone to leave so you can enjoy the nature at its best.

Very close to Gari you can find the Deer Leap Bridge (Elenski Skok) across the Radika River.

If you are looking for accommodation you can check Booking.com for the best deals available.

Inspired? Pin this:

Gari - Macedonia`s Hidden Gem

1. Backpacking Series

July 21, 2018 at 4:15 am

There is so much beauty hidden in Gari – Macedonia`s Hidden Gem. We have not considered Macedonia up until so far. But this village looks like a calling. Nature and Food stand out as compelling reasons for visit here! Best.. Backpacking Series

2. Clarice Lao / Camping for Women

July 21, 2018 at 4:22 am

I would have to agree that this is a gem. Sometimes all we need is some quiet time and a short stroll and be with nature. Would love to visit this place someday.

3. aisasami

July 21, 2018 at 5:48 am

This place is beautiful. I never see blog posts about Macedonia, so this is a treat to read. It is sad that the village only has only ten people living there, I wonder why? Is the big cities more attractive?

4. Jana

July 22, 2018 at 1:31 am

These pictures are so great. It’s such a beautiful place, and the food looks delicious! Thank you for sharing this gem!

5. Lifestyle Health Travel Blog

July 22, 2018 at 10:29 am

sometimes the less popular place give you a great joy. Finding such less crowded place is a really hard thing. Glad that you enjoyed your stay over there.

6. Fatima Torres @ Motherhood Through My Eyes

July 22, 2018 at 1:39 pm

So much beauty all around. I would love to see this place in person.

7. Wendy Lemeric

July 22, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Lovely photos. Indeed it is a hidden gem. I always love places that are off the beaten path.

8. fashionandstylepolice

July 22, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Gari sounds like a great place to visit. The photos are beautiful. I will be researching the village some more.

9. Brandy

July 23, 2018 at 12:36 am

What a gorgeous spot to visit. I Love anything nature looking and you’ve surely sold me on a new place to add to my travel bucket list for future times. Glad you shared some gorgeous photos!

10. Shernette Williams

July 23, 2018 at 1:24 am

What a beautiful place! I’m loving all the nature you’re surrounded with. I’ve definitely got to check it out

11. Simple Indian Mom

July 23, 2018 at 6:42 am

These are some gorgeous photos. Spending time in nature is something i adore the most. Lovely place to visit

12. David Allen Elliott

July 23, 2018 at 2:20 pm

I can see why it’s such a nice change of pace out there. it’s just such a beautiful change of pace. I would love to visit a place like this. The food looks great.

13. Sigrid Says

July 24, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Wow! Gari is breathtaking! Honestly, I never really considered going to Macedonia. but after reading your post, I wish I can go there pretty soon/ 😀

14. Lena Juice

July 26, 2018 at 10:43 pm

such a beautiful place! nature is incredible there, I can feel the fresh air through these photos!