15 Best cities to visit in Slovenia

(Last Updated On: October 15, 2018)

Lately I come across articles from fellow travelers about Slovenia, and for a right. This is a very beautiful country that has lots to offer. And the best thing is it is small and you can visit the best cities in just 2 weeks.

I fell in love with this country since I was a little child. My father used to take many trips to Slovenia and he was always bringing home calendars, travel guides and flyers with beautiful images of some of Slovenia`s most famous landmarks and cities.

I was at the age when I was not very well aware of the world that surrounds me, but I knew that somewhere there is a place that is so mesmerizing that I want to eventually experience on my own, and I did. And, for you my fellow travelers here is a list of 15 cities that you must visit in Slovenia.

Ljubljana

You cannot start exploring Slovenia without visiting its capital. I have not seen a place similar to this one. It is so calm and picturesque and the best part of it is Ljubljana Castle that gives you a full view of the entire city.

Read more about City Breaks: Ljubljana, Slovenia

Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj

You have probably noticed my obsession with fairy tale cities. Well, Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj are so surreal and worth the stop along your road trip in Slovenia.

Read more about Lake Bled: Slovenia`s Hidden Gem

Piran

Piran is a city that is located in southwestern Slovenia and it is known for its long pier and Venetian architecture. Piran is one of the best preserved historical towns. In the 15th century this city belonged to Venice and even now you can see the presence of Venetian culture.

Maribor

Maribor is the second largest city in Slovenia and the home of the oldest vine. So if you are visiting this city because of the vine you should head to the Vinag Wine Cellar which dates back to 1844.

Koper

Koper is a Mediterranean city with colorful history. You can take a dip in the sea or you can enjoy a stroll and see some of its most popular landmarks.

Postojna Cave

Postojna Cave is a must visit destination once you set foot in Slovenia. It has some of the most beautiful stalagmite and stalactite formationas and it is the home of the “human fish” or proteus.

Read more about A day trip from Ljubljana – Postojna Cave

Ptuj

Ptuj is one of Slovenia`s oldest towns, and it is not very well known among tourists. The red tile roofs make this city stand out in the crowd and if you want the best view you need to go across the Drava River.

Portoroz

Portoroz was once known as a healing center thanks to its concentrated salt water. Today it has some of the best known thermal health centers and some of the best hotels.

Celje

Celje is situated just 56 km northeast from Ljubljana and it is an important economic and cultural center.

Skofja Loka

Skofja Loka is another charming town in Slovenia with a Loka castle at the top. But before you reach the castle you need to cross the Capuchin`s bridge on Selska Sora river.

Novo Mesto

Novo Mesto is another city that is overlooked by the travelers. They breeze through the city to their next destination without even noticing the tranquil turquoise waters of Krka River running through the town.

Kranj

We visited Kranj on our way to Lake Bled. Even thoug I read that this is an industrial city ther was something in the pictures that I saw from the city that convinced me to spend at least couple of hours there and explore the city on my own terms.

Izola

Izola was another town that was not on my list but somehow I found out abot it and I have to say that I spent 2 lovely and lazy days on the beach.

Kranjska Gora

It will take only 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other of this small town. Kranjska Gora is known for winter sports but it is equally beautiful during the summer months too.

Murska Sobota

Murska Sobota is the last city on my last and also the last city on my two week itinerary to Slovenia. This city is known to be the northernmost city in Yugoslavia. The best known landmark is the Murska Sobota Castle which was rebuilt in Renaissance style.

Where to stay in Slovenia?

You can find the best accommodation deals on Booking.com, or you can use this $27 discount code on AirBnb.

Inspired? Pin this for later:

15 best cities you have to visit at least once in #slovenia

1. Jackie

August 6, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Oh my goodness, these places really do look like they’re right out of a fairytale. All of the castles, the gorgeous scenery.. Definitely need to visit here.

2. Backpacking Series

August 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm

WOW! Slovenia looks really beautiful! When we were backpacking Viet Nam, we met an amazing couple from Slovania. They then visited and stayed with us when we were in Thailand. They spoke so much about Slovenia and taught us how to make the cooked wine and since then, we have been wanting to head there. Your post just re-ignited that wish. Thank you.

3. Lateefah

August 6, 2018 at 11:55 pm

These cities are beautiful especially the cave in Postojna with the stalagmite formations. I would love to visit one day.

4. Karen Morse

August 7, 2018 at 1:14 am

Slovenia is such a beautiful place and it’s really awesome to be able to just go there and explore the cities as much as you can. I think I’ll fall in love with Portoroz and Celje so easily.

5. Nidhi Fouzdar

August 7, 2018 at 10:56 am

Wow wow wow.. these places are so beautiful <3 I wish i could just fly off their right now. skofga loka &kranjska gora took my heart away.

6. kartika nair

August 7, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Wow! Slovenia is so on my bucket list now. This cities just look amazing. All the building are so insta friendly. Would like to take so many pictures there.

7. Angelle

August 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the great write-up on Slovenia. I would love to visit and will be adding Slovenia to my bucket list. Ljubljana would be a great starting point to see all of the historical landmarks. Your travel photographs are inspiring!

8. Azlin Bloor

August 7, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Goodness me, your pictures make Slovenia look like something out of a fairytale! It looks absolutely beautiful and I know my family would just love it there!

9. Sreekar

August 8, 2018 at 4:29 am

Wow. Those pics do tell a story. I frankly had no idea Slovenia had so much to offer. Will try and get there in 2019. Thanks for the detailed info! Well compiled!

10. Kate

August 8, 2018 at 7:12 am

These places look amazing! Haven’t been to Slovenia but I think it’s time to discover this country!

11. Autumn Murray

August 8, 2018 at 8:04 pm

Slovenia looks absolutely amazing! I had never considered taking a trip there before but it is now on my travel list. Thank you for the detail.

12. Fashion and Style Police

August 8, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Piran sounds great. The other cities sound lovely too. I would love to visit them all one day.

13. Blair Villanueva

August 9, 2018 at 10:11 am

I always find Slovenia a very mystic place, maybe because I seldom or almost none I read any negative news about this country. These photos and descriptions are promising. If I got a chance, definitely I would say YES.

14. Komal

August 9, 2018 at 11:35 am

My friend went there a few years ago and raves about the entire country as a whole. I hope to go there one day.

15. Farya

August 10, 2018 at 4:57 am

Wow so many beaitiful lakes and caves I havent seen many people talk about this beautiful place, so stunning

16. Tania Artemova

August 10, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Slovenia is wonderful! There are so many places to visit that everyone can find something for himself. I love this country and would go there again.

17. Wendy

August 14, 2018 at 11:23 am

Such a wonderful place. All the photos are breathtaking!! Lucky you get to visit it.

18. Czickontheroad

September 25, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Not sure I would call Murska Sobota and Novo mesto amazing cities, and on the other hand I’m missing Velenje on this list. Besides that pretty nice collection of all Slovene cities worth visit 🙂